Daniel's Reef Tank

Lookin awesome Dan, love the acan garden!
That monti cap is gonna start ruffling out now that it covered the entire wall it's gonna look awesome!
Keep the pics a coming.

Thank you !!!!

About Seachem MATRIX: This thread will provide all the info that you need. Is not long and the first pages is all what you need:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2526998

I have it setup in 4 Media Reactors. At the start I used a HOB huge that had ~ 3G of total volume. The Matrix was on bags there. Then, due to my travels, I was afraid of the HOB fuge that, for whatever reason could overflow, so I passed it to media racks.

Matrix is just artificial rocks highly porous that allows anaerobic and aerobic bacterias growth. Is like having lots of rocks because the surface area ratio is very high. Every 6-12 months you just wash it during a WC, to take detritus attached to the small rocks. Thats all.

I also seeded the tank with BioDigest (live bacteria). At the start followed factory indications, later I just add 2 ampulas per month.

Daniel

Good reading Dan thanks, I have a empty large reactor downstairs I'm thinking of adding back to the mix

Just trying to get an idea of how other tank growth is. Your tank is pretty filled in so I wanted to get an idea. That is assuming you didn't go out and buy all large colonies at set up.

OK.... no, I started the tank from small frags. Please, read full tank evolution at this thread:

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/daniels-tank-upgrade-to-rsm-250.91241/

The START of my SPS adventure : July 2013 was setup a 13G tank (Mr Aqua Bookshelf tank). This picture is some months later.

This picture is around the time corals were transferred to the Red Sea Max 250 (JUNE 2014) : http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/daniels-tank-upgrade-to-rsm-250.91241/#post-1255866

This picture is from JUNE 17 2014 when I finished passing all the corals from the 13G tank

This is when I won the TOTM at Reef Sanctuary (OCTOBER 2014) http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...-upgrade-to-rsm-250.91241/page-7#post-1272967

DECEMBER 2014: Corals started to be affected due to High Nutrients (Phosp and NO3) Losing color, brownish, pales, see details in pictures. http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/inde...upgrade-to-rsm-250.91241/page-10#post-1281304

FEBRUARY 2014

Last edited:
One more example of my issue with Nutrients:

Same coral:

JULY 2014

FEBRURAY 2015

DECEMBER 2015

Last edited:
Tank Details

- Mainly SPS and a few LPS

- RED SEA MAX 250 (65 G) connected to a 40 G Breeder refugium with Macro, Fish and some corals from my 14G Biocube that I shut is down. The refugium has also Mangroves growing in a HOB PETCO Filter (look for it in the fuge pictures)

- 4 Media Reactors (pretty big each one) full of Sachem Matrix. Plus the Media Rack of the RSM 250 with 3 media bags full of Matrix

- NO Mechanical filtration (no sponges or socks). NO chemical filtration (GFO, Carbon dosing, Bio Pellets). Just biological filtration: The Macro and Bacterias in rock and Matrix

- Skimmer: Standard Factory skimmer that comes with the RSM Max tank. I do DRY skimming.

- ATO : JBJ

- Pumps : 2 return pumps from the back sump. Plus 3 RW8 (Jebao) pumps. 2 RW8 Full speed and 1 at minimum.

- JBJ Chiller 1/4

- Lights :

----DISPLAY TANK: T5 (6) 39W , Plus 3 ProLumen 24" inches Actinic LED strips (for sunrise and sunset, but they also stay on the full day).
-----REFUGIUM: Full Spectrum LEDs (120 W ? , I can't remember). I added this week a 24W Hydroponic LED bulb to help Macro photosynthesis.
-----MANGROVES: Have a Hydroponic LED small light over them.

- Water changes every week ~ 15-20 G

- IO Reef Crystal Salt

- Dosing : B-Ionic 2 parts (Alk/Ca)

- Apex Controller with DOS dosing system (control the dosing system, light, some pumps and heater...very easy and simple).

- Reef Keeper Lite taking control of all about the refugium (lights, heater and Media Reactors pumps).

Alk : All this year around 6.4 to 7.5. Last 6-8 month stable in ~ 7.0 -7.5 dKh (SALIFERT and HANNA)

Phosp. : This week 0.06 ppm (SALIFERT)

NO3: This week 0.5 ppm (SALIFERT)

Ca: 2 months ago ~420 (have to measure it again...sorry guys)

Mg: No idea. It is replenished with WC (I have to measure it also this week)

pH : 7.95 to 8.35 (24 hour cycle with coral/Macro photosynthesis)

Fish: 17 between display and refugium very well feed to keep some Phosp. and NO3 levels in the tank.

Nice and stablished clean up crew (many serpent starts, different types of snails, 2 conch snails, etc)

I do not add any other supplement or feed corals on any way. Just once in a while I add 10 ml of Red Sea A and B aminoacids (because I have them in the refrigerator).

Well, I tried to add as much info it came to my head. Please, feel free to ask.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Daniel,
This is a terrific tank set up and lesson learn from your experience. I also went through some STN similar to what you posted after too much feeding when I tried a couple of Regal Angelfish. I fouled the tank with fresh clams, mussles, oysters, and scallop from the super market. All trying to get the Regal eat. It ended up not eating anything I give it and nipping on my corals and died of starvation. I spent the next 6 weeks changing my eater agressively and testing the water and pulling out some dead acros. While the color of my SPS darken and brown out a bit, my bleached LPS colored back up very nicely. The nitrate went from undetectable to off the chart of 4ppm. Phosphate was well controlled since I run GFO but there must be something more than just PO4 and NO3 that we're not testing for.

I really like the result you're getting from running those matrix. Although it may take 4-5months for the bacteria to colonize the surface of the matrix, the amount of good bacteria that can colonize is incredible and very beneficial to the tank.
When I went to Bryan house to see his set up, he was running the biofilter block from MarinePure and he got great result from it. I spent a lot of time reading up on it but I didn't want to change anything at the time since my tank was going well. But after more and more reading, it seems to not have any averse affect. This is pretty all natural.
I went ahead and ordered 28 liter of the MarinePure cube yesterday. Going to give the bacteria a head start on the current system before I transfer the tank into the bigger one.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/fi...marinepure-ceramic-biofilter-mp2c-media-cubes

I still want the Regal Angelfish and will try again once the upgrade tank is set up. It is a must have and something I have to have.
You have your Triggerfish fetish, I have my Angelfish fetish. :D

Tank looks great Daniel!

I think being able to feed your tank aggressively but then having a tank that can process that is a good set up. The matrix is great (easy to clean too!) and as Nick mentioned the marine pure blocks are extra backup and I think work better than live rock in the sump because it hardly traps any detritus.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you establish a big colony of bacteria, you gotta keep it fed!! Changes in philosophy can impact the dynamics as well. I think there is a method out there (Lengs?) to where the guy has his tank way over stocked but the system he runs maintains it......just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I'll need to get out your house one time to see it in person, i'm getting the itch again but too many balls in the air right now to start a new tank so i'll sit back and watch Nick build his :)

Daniel,
This is a terrific tank set up and lesson learn from your experience.

I really like the result you're getting from running those matrix. Although it may take 4-5months for the bacteria to colonize the surface of the matrix, the amount of good bacteria that can colonize is incredible and very beneficial to the tank.
When I went to Bryan house to see his set up, he was running the biofilter block from MarinePure and he got great result from it. I spent a lot of time reading up on it but I didn't want to change anything at the time since my tank was going well. But after more and more reading, it seems to not have any averse affect. This is pretty all natural.
I went ahead and ordered 28 liter of the MarinePure cube yesterday. Going to give the bacteria a head start on the current system before I transfer the tank into the bigger one.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/fi...marinepure-ceramic-biofilter-mp2c-media-cubes

I still want the Regal Angelfish and will try again once the upgrade tank is set up. It is a must have and something I have to have.
You have your Triggerfish fetish, I have my Angelfish fetish. :D

Haaa.... I have always heard or read that Angels are a high risk for a reef tank like yours. I have had already my Coral Beauty for more than a year, and touch wood, he/she is not touching any coral. From all the Angels is the lest risky. The same rational applies for Trigger Fish. I have a Niger and a Blue Line in the Fuge, like an experiment, with soft and LPS corals (non fancy corals) and they haven't touched anyone ..... yet.

Very interesting those Marine Pure cubes. In the picture looks like they are very porous. For sure they will do an excellent job. I will probably order some to add in the fuge, let see.

About the bacteria, When I added the Matrix and since them, I use BioDigest (Live Bacteria). There are many brands, but this one have very good reviews. I have read, that independently of what type of Media (rocks, Matrix, Siphorax MarinePure cubes, etc) you have in the tank to support bacteria growth, the bacteria population can shift, and that can change the way nutrients are processed. I do not have way to see if that is true or is juts Marketing to sell these "Live Bacteria suspension". But, nevertheless, and as a biologist, I think that can happens, so it do not hurt to add fresh bacterias from time to time.

My Main changes when I took the decision to move on, instead of trashing the tank, was:

- Adding the Fuge,
- The Matrix (could be other brand).
-The Bacterias.

I looked for "Simplicity" because I can not try any other method that will take more time to control due to my travels, but they are good too (GFO, Carbon dosing, etc). And I looked for "Stability". Decided for an Alk/Ca level, as well as for a P. and N. level, and kept it the more stable possible. As well as the husbandry routine.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Tank looks great Daniel!

I think being able to feed your tank aggressively but then having a tank that can process that is a good set up. The matrix is great (easy to clean too!) and as Nick mentioned the marine pure blocks are extra backup and I think work better than live rock in the sump because it hardly traps any detritus.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you establish a big colony of bacteria, you gotta keep it fed!! Changes in philosophy can impact the dynamics as well. I think there is a method out there (Lengs?) to where the guy has his tank way over stocked but the system he runs maintains it......just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I'll need to get out your house one time to see it in person, i'm getting the itch again but too many balls in the air right now to start a new tank so i'll sit back and watch Nick build his :)

Thank you Brian !! . You are very welcome to come home, it will be easier now that your are in a nearby town.

You are 100% correct, there are many ways to skin a cat (= to run a tank). Nothing is written in stone. I am NOT suggesting people run their tanks as I do or that my way is the way. This is the way I decided to do it because of my life. I travel 3 days out of five during the week, in average. My position changed after I assemble the reef tank. So I was already in the party and wanted to continue dancing (= keep the tank). When I had my nutrient issue I told myself " Daniel, or you do it simple or you better shut-down the tank, there is no way I can be in Ohio and be thinking if the media reactor with GFO is doing OK. So it has to work with just biology and the corals that survive will be the ones I can have in the tank". With that way of thinking i move forward. Some Acros died, other survived, etc.

Every day I touch wood and hope all continues as it is. In the meantime I am enjoying it.

BTW...... have you seen in the pictures how the SSC frag you gave me grew? Is there in the pictures. By the time you have your new reef tank setup I will be able to give you a frag of your own SSC. Wouldn't that be great ? . Keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Brian......this is the SSC you gave me after I lost the first frag, that was already a mini colony, during my nutrient crash/issue. Took some time to start to growth the tips, but in the last months she has been growing slowly, pretty and healthy. I am not in a rush...LOL

2015 CONTINUE

MAY

DECEMBER

Last edited:
beautiful color tank, lovely fish I am so jealous and hope my tank looks a bit same in couple years from now lol

Today i did my first WC with AF Probiotic Reef Salt (20 G). It started, let see if I see something different. I will NOT go for the full product line. No time to keep all those dosing.

My Alk was today, at 10 AM (normally I measure it at ~ 9 PM) 7 dkh. The AF salt quality certificate stated that at 1023 the alk has to be 7.7 dkh for that lot. I measured it twice (Salifert Kit) and at 1026 it was 8.4 and 8.3 dkh.

Could that difference in salinity have an effect on the Salt Alk (increased). Nevertheless I did the WC. All looks OK.............now PICTURES

There is more...........WAIT !!!

Back