Dan's 8' 130 gallon Build

Gsxkid

BRS Member
Figured everyone else seems to be making a build thread so why not. I got the tank for free and I'm going to try and document the whole thing with pics. I'm no pro so any advice is appreciated. Here is a pic of the tank I'm going to start finishing the stand this week.

Great Job! Thanks for the pics as well.

Just one comment and take it for what its worth.

The upright 2x4's that you have on the front and back. I would have overlapped them on the back of the top and bottom plates... glued and screwed.

This would help with shifting of the weight. I see that you put a couple of small pieces at a 45' on the bottom left.

Keep the pics coming.........
May want to add some more vertical supports throughout the span along with horizontals on the bottom.

Lol yes more supports. I should of stated that this is just my ruff framing. Flame angel there is going to be a vertical support on the inside of each corner that is going to overlap and get nailed from the outside.

I don't use screws. They don't have any shear strength. By that I just mean If you screw 2 2x4s together. You can take a hammer and hit it at the seam and the screws will just snap. Unlike nails where it would take a lot more force to get it apart. Everyone does things different but that's just my take on screws vs nails. Also helps that I own a framing gun lol just aim and pull the trigger lol

This guy I work with has an 8' 300 gallon. His sump room is as big as my dining proom. He was going to use it as a sump at 1 point but never did. I asked him what he was doing with it and he said I could have it.

Last edited:
Looking good. Any more info on what you plan on running it with?
Also, what's the thickness of the acrylic?

The acrylic is 3/8" on all sides. It has some good bracing on the top. Lighting I have 2 175w metal halides. I'm going to use a 55 for a fuge and have it piped to a 30G sump area next to it. The return pump I have is a Mag 18

I don't know if it's common knowledge but the sides of the 55 gallon tanks petco sells are tempered haha minor setback I guess I'm gonna just assume that the side of my 29 is tempered too lol

One more of me riding my ramp just because I like this pic. It was last weekend

Bummer on the tank but looking good and keep them coming, I'm in the middle of 120 build so love to see yours as I'm doing mine.... awesome ramp and pic

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The newer aqueon standard 55 is tempered on all sides. The 29 is usually not.

Some of the older 55s are not tempered on the short sides

That 55 is a good 12 plus years old. I just resealed it too. Super unfortunate . Should I go for it on the 30? I'm gonna go do it right now lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back