Disgusted with survival from LFS

Was out of the hobby for a while, back in for 5 months. Afraid to temp fate, but I have had very good luck with Lovely Pet. I find Steve to be honest when he says how long a fish has been in his tanks. He is so clear on which tanks run copper and which do not.

Looking forward to his new store this summer in Kingston. It does not seem that clear at this point if and for how long he will also keep Quincy. My bet is it will take a wrecking ball to get him out of there.

Like all things in this hobby, rushing is the kiss of death. How many of us have asked, "when did the x come in?" Then, "Ok, I guess I'll take him anyway.:

Not a crazy amount of coral, but there always seems to be something interesting.

Just my two cents.

There is another factor that cause low survival rate of saltwater fish bought from stores or online, that is 90% of saltwater fish imported into US were caught using cyanide (according to publication by National Geographic, 2016) despite it is illegal to import fish that caught using cyanide.

Quote from NaGeo:
“"The name of the game for those in the trade is 'sell the fish as quickly as possible' because then you’re passing the risk on to the next buyer,” said Rene Umberger, the director of For the Fishes.”

So the LFS and hobbyists are both victims of this horrible practice oversea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they found the cyanide test to be unreliable and give false positives?

There is a new test method being developed by university of RI. Hope this one can be practical.

I have not been to Tropic Isle is a long, long time. I always remembered them as being very expensive, but usually had good stuff.

Anyone have any recent experience there?

I live just down the street from Tropic Isle. Once you get past the owner and his wife being a bit odd, it is a good place. They put a lot of effort into taking care of their animals. One section of their system contains copper and generally new livestock goes in there (so don’t just dump from the bag). Yes, you will find a dead fish in the tanks from time to time, but with all those tanks, I would expect some loss. I love working with Katie, she is one of the most knowledgeable LFS employees I have run into.

Was out of the hobby for a while, back in for 5 months. Afraid to temp fate, but I have had very good luck with Lovely Pet. I find Steve to be honest when he says how long a fish has been in his tanks. He is so clear on which tanks run copper and which do not.

Looking forward to his new store this summer in Kingston. It does not seem that clear at this point if and for how long he will also keep Quincy. My bet is it will take a wrecking ball to get him out of there.

Like all things in this hobby, rushing is the kiss of death. How many of us have asked, "when did the x come in?" Then, "Ok, I guess I'll take him anyway.:

Not a crazy amount of coral, but there always seems to be something interesting.

Just my two cents.

I stopped in this past Tues. Steve is very knowledgeable and willing to share his experiences. Not much coral wise but a very good amount of nice quality fish. He is looking into carrying LRS foods too which will be nice.

Believe it or not, I have had a lot of success with Petco fish. They order straight from LiveAquaria and if you know what fish you want, they will order it for you and can save you on shipping. This is my experience with Petco in Leominster MA.

The thing with Petco is that each location is like a totally different entity. If the fish guy or gal in a given location is actively concerned about the livestock, and gets the support of the other employees, then the tanks will be clean and the fish will be less stressed. Stress is probably one of the biggest fish killers in the aquarium trade. A stressed fish will not be able to fight off simple disease or parasite that a healthy, comfortable fish would.

I’m at petco right now in Avon
A69B56E2-EB2E-4BFA-B8CE-0D6165C28610.jpeg

Not sure if you've ever been to or gotten anything from Love The Reef in Wilmington MA but I've had great success there!

one of my next fish right there [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was more about the clam, it looked awesome and I soo wanted to buy it but I gotta get my tank in order first. So I picked up a porcelain crab instead lol

one of my next fish right there [emoji16]

It was more about the clam, it looked awesome and I soo wanted to buy it but I gotta get my tank in order first. So I picked up a porcelain crab instead lol

got one of those at FFM. I have seen him twice since [emoji23]

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back