DIY Carbon Reactor

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Whipped this baby up today, seems to be working great and I am already noticing a significant difference in my water color. I am feeding it with a MJ1200.
Carbon%20Reactor%201.jpg

Carbon%20Reactor%203.jpg

I was thinking of doing one also. Right now I just have the return hose returning on a bag of carbon.

Although, you do not think an MJ1200 is a little fast?

Although, you do not think an MJ1200 is a little fast?

There is a lot of debate whether fast or slow flow through the carbon is better. I figured I would try a 1200 and I have a MJ400 also if things don't work out.

?how long will the carbon be good for?

I would guess a week or so

Kevin
What are you using to keep the Carbon in place?

I actually have the carbon in a nylon but I am going to pick up a few slim media bags and use those next time.

There is a lot of debate whether fast or slow flow through the carbon is better. I figured I would try a 1200 and I have a MJ400 also if things don't work out.

Ok, let us know how it goes. I wonder if the rate of flow has an influence on how long the carbon is good for. I always thought it was 2 weeks. I change mine out every 3.

My tank was significantely clearer after I began using carbon and I like it like that. Not to mention I just feel like it is a little extra protection in case something gets in the tank or chemical warfare.

Kevin,
I liked yours so much I had to build my own.

I did it a little differently. I put the inlet/outlet on the ends, and a small sponge on either end so I could run the carbon loose in the reactor.

I'm running it with a MJ-600 wide open.

Looks really good Steve, I like it :)

I could probably pack some filter material in the ends of mine and try the loose method too. Yesterday I swung into Petsmart and picked up a few 12" x 4" filter bags and am running it in there currently.

I would think the loose method would allow a better flow thru.I use a fine sponge on the ends gives a bonus bio and mech filtering.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back