DIY - Fish Trap

cobraz

Zoa Pirate
DIY Fish Trap Using 2 Liter Bottle or smaller

Have you ever tried to catch a particularly feisty fish in an aquarium that is heavily planted or full of delicate live rock? If the answer is yes, then read on! This article will teach you how to make an aquarium safe fish trap. This simple, but clever DIY fish trap will help you catch a delicate fish with no damage to aquarium life or the fish itself.

What you will need:
A 2-liter bottle 0r a smaller 20 ounce bottle.
A tool to cut the bottle as shown to the right diagram.
A bit of fish food that is highly favored by the fish you are attempting to capture.

Directions
Start by cutting the top 4.5 inches off of the 2-liter bottle or smaller for a smaller bottle. If your fish is too large to fit into the screw top area, cut off the screw top off the bottle to make a large enough opening for your fish to swim into. The red lines in the diagram to the right show where to cut.

If you needed to cut the screw top off of the bottle you can discard that portion. The top part should now form a funnel. Invert this funnel and insert it into the bottom portion of the bottle. It may be necessary to make a cut in the bottom portion of the bottle to fit the funnel inside it.
The DIY fish trap construction is now complete.

Setting the fish trap
Place some food in the fish trap, and submerge it in your aquarium. You may have to take the funnel back out to ensure the trap gets full of water. If you need to sink the fish trap to the bottom, you can put a little aquarium gravel from the tank inside the trap. Just leave the fish trap in the aquarium until the hungry little fish you want to catch swims right in!
Here is a diagram of the completed fish trap:

Attachments

• 2-liter-bottle-trap.gif
    2-liter-bottle-trap.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 562
  • trap-in-action.gif
    trap-in-action.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
I used this method with a 16oz water bottle to catch a peppermint shrimp that was eating some lps in my tank years ago and worked great thanks for sharing

Such and easy and cheap answer to a problem. I had a half black angel that had taken a liking to my lps. I bought a $90 FT to catch a $30 fish. lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back