Do we still need water changes??

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
New to dosing. So if we are dosing Cal. and Mag. to maintain as well trace elements and whatever else, Do we still need to frequent water changes???

"The solution to pollution is dilution"... In all seriousness, this debate used to rage back in the DSB days. Fact of the matter is the best tanks I have seen will incorporate water changes no matter what methods they reley on.

You would figure if we can replace all the elements that our tanks need and still reduce nitrates by mean of algae scrubbers/refuge, do we really need to do a water change? This also means you will need a massive dosing system and probably dishing out more money in the end for everything you will need. For me I see it would be more cost effective and less of a headache to just do water changes.

If water change is a burden, there are ways to minimize that. But the cost of dosing, monitoring of trace elements will cost a lot more than water change.

You would figure if we can replace all the elements that our tanks need and still reduce nitrates by mean of algae scrubbers/refuge, do we really need to do a water change? This also means you will need a massive dosing system and probably dishing out more money in the end for everything you will need. For me I see it would be more cost effective and less of a headache to just do water changes.
Yes, I totally agree that the most cost effective method is water change plus dosing the three major elements Alk/calcium/mag.
There is a reason why some online big box retailers keep pushing no water change methods. The bottom line is profit. Due to the shipping cost and everyone wants free shipping, selling salt mix is a loose money business. On the other hand, dosing reagents and test kits are high profit items.

Last edited:
Some claim that use of an algae scrubber negates water changes , I personally am not sure but there are scientists who have proved it
I saw several scientific studies about algae scrubbers.

The scrubbers in those studies were very large, some as large as the coral tank. Some were even larger, in order to be truly effective.

Since algae is competing with coral for essential nutrients, such as nitrate and phosphate, while still leaving other organic pollutants in the water, the benefit to have a scrubbers is still debatable.

Water change frequency is going to vary from system to system. Tank "a" gets fed 2x daily but tank "b" only gets fed minimally daily... refugium vs no fuge etc.

Personally, I've experienced both sides over the years. Everyone can get lackadaisical with maintenance. I've also used local natural sea water with pride.

Bottom line is that your mileage will vary based on the balance of your individual system.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back