Does anyone have a Caribbean biotope or any biotope?

Jbotelho85

Non-member
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has a Caribbean biotope specifically as I would love to share and gather information? Is anyone doing any sort of biotope? I find this an interesting aspect of the hobby.

I have a nano tank biotope with all organisms from S. Florida locations. It was easy to set up. I got live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and most corals, fish and inverts from KP Aquatics.

TBS rock was fantastic. I did get TWO mantis shrimp. I hear KP doesn't have as many mantis shrimp.

Right now I have: sexy shrimp, Pederson's shrimp, gorgonians, a red macroalgae, some ricordea, mini-hermits, a snapping shrimp and miscellaneous snails and at least one small crab. For fish I have a Rusty Goby, three masked gobies and an out-of-place Flaming Prawn Goby.

My LFS (who also helped set up my tanks) sold the FP Goby to me as cost. I was actually asked to buy it at cost because there was no interest. I see why. I only see the FP Goby early in the morning and only about once a month. Sooooo not worth it.

The nano sits next to my desk so I can watch it when I'm working on the computer. Part of the reason I set it up was for that and partly so I could have a bunch of small shrimp and not have to worry about them being eaten or harassed my larger tank mates. I've really enjoyed it.

i'm jelly where did you score it?
Don't be jelly. They are gorgeous but when I say I see it once a month I'm not kidding. And usually as soon as she realizes I'm watching she's back in a hiding spot. She doesn't even come out at feeding time.

That sounds like a beautiful tank. I have a 90 with gorgonians, florida rics, and caribbean zoas. For fish, I have a clown wrasse or halichores maculipina, cherub angel, red spotted hawkfish, and a flame cardinal. I'm receiving a sharpnose puffer, and a green blotch parrotfish from KP today.

Attachments

• 20190622_224508.jpg
    20190622_224508.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 176
The beauty of it is that when I tell people my fish, no one really knows them, meaning, and many don't keep them which is kind of cool and different. It's just hard going to the LFS and purchasing fish or coral.

A puffer? Cool. That is a personable fish from what I hear.

I'm not able to access any of my tank picts right now but I'm also thinking of rearranging things and adding some rock flower anemones. The sexies hang out on the the ricordeas for now. They're entertaining to watch. I keep thinking I should record their behaviors but I might need more of them to see trends.

Back