Does this seem right?

Semara

Non-member
I gotta ask this: On RC earlier today I made a post where I refered to a 150 gal that isn't being used. Well, I just spoke to my uncle like twenty minutes ago, and he asked to "borrow" it. He is looking to set up a fish only (no LR) system, and he says there is no need for a protien skimmer with it. There is a part of me that is screaming that this is just plain wrong, but he is a huge reason why I'm in the hobby in the first place. I'd like to give him the benifit of the doubt, and he has a couple beautiful freshwater systems, but can this work? Is the skimmer useful for primarilly(sp?), only Berlin systems like he says. Ugh, it seems wrong, but, well, family...

Thanx, he's gonna end up with two of those uber expensive EHIEM filters (can't Remember the number). Glad he wasn't wrong. With so many diverse and contrary opinions promugated by the members of this hobby, it's is nice to know that I've been spending the past ten or so years relyong on good advise (this is not to suggest that any of his previous advise was bad).

Even on a reef you can get by without one. You just need to do water changes more frequently.
He should be fine with the Ehiem. I would use a wet/dry and maybe a fluidized bed but His way works just as well.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back