Dosing 2 Part

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Making the obligatory post about dosing 2 part.
Does anyone want to take a stab at making a tutorial for other to follow.

This video is great. I just started using aquaforest 3 part. It says to only dose in equal amounts. But we will see what happens with the levels in a few days.

This video is great. I just started using aquaforest 3 part. It says to only dose in equal amounts. But we will see what happens with the levels in a few days.
Been using AF 3 part for over a year now, its really good. Listen to directions and only dose equally, it takes a few months to get stable but damn does growth skyrocket when it does. You will be happy with the results

I started AF a couple months and and my tank has been doing great. AF has other trace elements in it that BRS 2 part doesn't. I think thats why they emphasize dosing equally.

Yeah! Im running equally and testing every other day to make sure its all decent. But i heard and have seen great things with the af dosing

I've been using BulkReef but since I can't find them in stock, I just got Aqua Forest buffer for the time being.
Trying to find out the amount to dose and I'm a little confused. I meant to send them an email on this. Since some of you are using AF, which buffer are you using? The amount needed to dose in their calculator is absurdly high.
47(!!!!) liters of and 473g of magnesium to get 1500ppm to 1600ppm in a 150gallons seems really wrong to me. I mean, the container of magnesium is only 750g.
AquaForestCalc.JPG

I've been using BulkReef but since I can't find them in stock, I just got Aqua Forest buffer for the time being.
Trying to find out the amount to dose and I'm a little confused. I meant to send them an email on this. Since some of you are using AF, which buffer are you using? The amount needed to dose in their calculator is absurdly high.
47(!!!!) liters of and 473g of magnesium to get 1500ppm to 1600ppm in a 150gallons seems really wrong to me. I mean, the container of magnesium is only 750g.
View attachment 142574
Mg is stupid large to dose man, since its molecular weight is only 12 you need a massive amount to increase even 1 ppm so the calculator is correct (I just used a different one that said you would need 560g of epsom in your system). pretty much your water Mg = your salt mix Mg.

I use KH buffer to make my own component 2+ which is KH buffer @80 g/L + trace

I guess I should've done this comparison before I buy into the Aquaforest stuff.
Large amount maybe. But not stupid large like 47 liters of it.
This is the BRS mix using magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate.
1.2liters.
For the record, I don't want 1600ppm of magnesium. Just something I use as a reference.

BRSMag_Calc.JPG

I mean the BRS is the same man it's 8 cups of magnesium per 1/2 gal RODI that's pretty much the same. the difference is how much water you add to the mix. Mg is Mg. the Component 3 isn't supposed to be used to raise or lower your Mg its just there for the off chance you loose some in your water to salt creep.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back