Dosing Question

jah-hoeva

Non-member
For as far back as I can remember ive had pretty steady Alk. Testing once a month usually, it fluctuates from 8.5 to 9.0. As of the last month ive sold a good amount of coral but still have a pretty stocked tank. Just tested my Alk and it was 11. Not quite sure how to explain that short of selling off some coral and not adjusting my doser it has creeped up. Do you agree?

Kinda surprised by that result. Tested twice, 11.0 and 11.1.

Nope no salt mix change. Short of removing coral, no real changes. That's why I leaning toward that.

In my experience both 1st and 2nd hand, large alkilinity spikes (not drops) often start stn events. Mostly in more sensitive sps. The events usually occur 10 to 15 days after the spike. And require intervention to correct. I've never seen any lps (nor read of) being effected. And the 2 times it happened to me, it seemed to effect A. Microladis A. Gomezi the most. While leaving most others alone. This is all anecdotal.

How old is the doser? I recently had to recalibrate my Jebao DP4 doser. The dosing motors (x4), all took a longer time to pump 100ml of RO water compared to the previously calibrated values about 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doser is about a year old if I was to guess. Wont hurt to recalibrate. I will re-evaluate my dosing amounts also, considering the recent coral sales.

Well left everything where it was because the tank seems fine. Just tested my CA and KH: 400 and 12.8.

Off the top of my head? A couple monti caps the size of my hand, plus or minus. Around 100 head colony of candy cane. A dozen heads of frogspawn, 20 heads or so of Duncan, a softball sized leather and some other misc acro and lps frags. Im sure I may be missing some. Not sure if that would cause the KH to drift up, but it has been.

I guess depending on how much you got and how much is left after the sale, I would believe it.
If you have previously tested your freshly mixed water with the same kit and remember the number on ALK, test the freshly mixed water again to see if you get the same number. This will tell you if the test kit is still okay. Always test your salt mix when you get a new box or bucket.
ALK of over 11dkh is something to be worried about.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back