Dosing questions from a dosing nubie

KJB

BRS Member
I want to begin dosing, manually for now.
I landed on seachem fusion 1&2. They seem pretty staight forward which is a nice place for me to start.

My question is...
Can i dose only part 1 to start? Ive been all over the web, read Randy Holmes-farley threads on seachem fusion but no absolute answers. Many asked, but no definitive yes.

need to raise my calc currently its around 320. My alk is pretty stable at 9.5, which is where i want to stay.
I'm waiting for my Nyos mag test kit to arrive.

I use Hanna for alk/phos/calc
Nyos nitrate/ mag when they arrive

Wont chase Ph just monitor

Only softies now (7 zoo frags)
Want an eventual mixed reef
Coraline had begun on rocks but stalled due to low calc i assume.

Nitrate 0. Crappy api
Phos 0.05
Alk 9.5
Calc 320
Sal. 34ppt
Temp 77.5
29 biocube rimless (21 gl actual volume)
Ai prime hd 16 (saxby settings)
Dyi ats (so far its awesome)
4 gl water changes every 2 weeks only to add trace elements etc. Nitrate management isn't an issue with the ats running.

Planned to dose 6 ml part 1 only everyday until in range 420ish, then calculate usage and begin equal parts of 1&2.

All help appreciated!

I am no expert on this forum but have dosed 2 part for 5 years and this is my experience:
1. Yes, you can does only one until you get it to level you want, just do it gradually. Hurrying changes is never good idea.
2. Don't assume that you will necessarily end up dosing same amount. For whatever reasons, I've always been dosing different amounts to keep levels where I want them. Right now, I dose about 12% more calc than alk.
3. I personally think 9.5 is on the high side as a goal; I'd aim 8.5 but that's your business.
4. I personally don't love the Hanna test kits and would at least cross check with a titration kit. I use salifert for alkalinity and red sea for calcium.
Good luck!

I would also take a look at your magnesium, very important in your tank I use salifert testing plenty brs video on the subject of calcium and magnesium.

I am no expert on this forum but have dosed 2 part for 5 years and this is my experience:
1. Yes, you can does only one until you get it to level you want, just do it gradually. Hurrying changes is never good idea.
2. Don't assume that you will necessarily end up dosing same amount. For whatever reasons, I've always been dosing different amounts to keep levels where I want them. Right now, I dose about 12% more calc than alk.
3. I personally think 9.5 is on the high side as a goal; I'd aim 8.5 but that's your business.
4. I personally don't love the Hanna test kits and would at least cross check with a titration kit. I use salifert for alkalinity and red sea for calcium.
Good luck!
Thats great insite thank you!

I kept reading on r2r that at some point i would end up dosing equal parts with fusion, or brs, or whatever "2" part i use. Basically it would eventually even out.. others said that never happened. All depends on tank consumption i suppose.

Cross referencing with a titration is solid advice!

I would also take a look at your magnesium, very important in your tank I use salifert testing plenty brs video on the subject of calcium and magnesium.
Thank you lily!

From what I've read you're spot on! Calc and mag must work together.

I believe the fusion 1 is calc fusion 2 mag and alk.
Not sure about that tho.. i thought there would be tons more info on the fusion.
If they are parted out like that, then i would eventually have to add fusion 2 or else the mag will be out. Adding fusion 2 will raise my alk tho, and i really dont want that.

I hoped a 2 part like fusion manually to start would be easier than a kalk reactor, stirrer, dosing pumps, etc.. $$$
Nothings easy lol

Thanks again!

My 2cents I have been using ESV 2part for about 8months give or take. When i started i did have dose different amounts to bring levels to my specs.
I like. Alk.8.6, Ca.480, Mag. 1440.

What i did was dose up to desired levels. Check #s daily-dose in the am. Play and repeat for a week. that should get you a baseline of daily dose. After that I check Alk 3xweekly Ca. 2xweek, Mag 1xweek

No you done have to dose equal amounts use what you need. DONT make any radical changes in water chemistry. small increases over a week that worked for me.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html got this from @Chris A. and it is AWESOME you can find exact doses for your 2part.

Also you might want to use a salt that is close to the #s you want to keep. Makes maintaining much easier IE you dont want to use a salt that mixes Alk@11 when you keep your Alk@ 8.5

BRS has videos on this specifically. good take for making the decision on your salt choice. I just did this myself recently to change my salt of choice.

Good luck with da tank.

Reactions: KJB
My 2cents I have been using ESV 2part for about 8months give or take. When i started i did have dose different amounts to bring levels to my specs.
I like. Alk.8.6, Ca.480, Mag. 1440.

What i did was dose up to desired levels. Check #s daily-dose in the am. Play and repeat for a week. that should get you a baseline of daily dose. After that I check Alk 3xweekly Ca. 2xweek, Mag 1xweek

No you done have to dose equal amounts use what you need. DONT make any radical changes in water chemistry. small increases over a week that worked for me.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html got this from @Chris A. and it is AWESOME you can find exact doses for your 2part.

Also you might want to use a salt that is close to the #s you want to keep. Makes maintaining much easier IE you dont want to use a salt that mixes Alk@11 when you keep your Alk@ 8.5

BRS has videos on this specifically. good take for making the decision on your salt choice. I just did this myself recently to change my salt of choice.

Good luck with da tank.
I appreciate the definitive answers!

It confirms what i had landed on but i wanted to be sure i was on the right track.

I will definitely check out the link, and ive been looking into new salt mixes too.
Using IO now becasue its what i had.
There are ALOT of brands and everyone seems pretty passionate on whats best.
More research for me.

Thanks!!!

Double tested today with the new hanna and nyos kits
Had started dosing couple of weeks ago but stopped because i didnt trust the test kits.
Water change last monday.

Today (2 tests each)
Alk 10.1
Calc 429
Mag 1350
Nitrate 0

You shouldn't really have to worry about 2 part dosing, at the small volume its much easier just to keep up with water changes. Especially since it's mostly softies at the moment. But as you fill more corals in you might have to start dosing. Bulkreefsupply has a few calculators you can use to figure out where your levels are at and what you need to do to get to where you want them to be.

You shouldn't really have to worry about 2 part dosing, at the small volume its much easier just to keep up with water changes. Especially since it's mostly softies at the moment. But as you fill more corals in you might have to start dosing. Bulkreefsupply has a few calculators you can use to figure out where your levels are at and what you need to do to get to where you want them to be.
Thank you!
In the coming weeks i hope to begin adding some lps and want to get my dosing plan together ahead of time.
I THINK my parameters look decent for now, and im hopeful water changes will keep things in range for the short term.
Im going to find a better salt too.

In my experience mag lvls = your salt mix. I;ve never really seen them fluctuate. even in my 3 part recipe mag is the smallest at 10g/L with Ca @ 50g/L and H2CO3 @ 80g/L

Reactions: KJB
In my experience mag lvls = your salt mix. I;ve never really seen them fluctuate. even in my 3 part recipe mag is the smallest at 10g/L with Ca @ 50g/L and H2CO3 @ 80g/L
I did not know that. Im not sure what the ratio is for fusion 1, but knowing salt is the main source now, i will be sure to consider that in my new salt decision.

Thanks!

Back