Dosing questions

mvallee

Non-member
I did search the forum and did not find any matches that fit so sorry for asking the same old questions again.

My tank went through the nasties at about 6 months in and is just now almost three months later coming around. In that time I did nothing but water changes and lost pretty much all my SPS as they kept getting coated in the cyano, Dino's etc.. I still have some corals, Toadstools, frogspawn, zoa's trumpets that are still hanging in, the monti's are in really rough shape but alive so hoping they bounce back and rockflower and Bubble tip nems that have been just fine. I am ready to get my tank back on track so what I have can flourish like they were before and not shock them with major changes and get ready to spend some more money on corals and not trun them into skeletons.

Here is my question, I have dosing pumps and the BRS Calcium, Alk and Mag powders and trying to figure how to start as my numbers are wonky, Alk is so low but Calcium is perfect, My Phosphates and Nitrates are high I believe due to over feeding and was the reason for the nasties starting, I added a Copper banded Butterfly and between trying to get him to eat and having to provide a lot of food because my Purple Tang constantly bullies and chases the CBB away from food it got very high. I am trying to rehome the Purple tang to hopefully remedy this situation soon.
Alk 5.4
PH 7.8
Cal 440
Sal 1.026
Mag 1450
Phosphates .30
Nitrates 2.5

So in a 110 G tank should I bring the Alk up manually to around 8.5 to 9 using one of the reef calculators and then start a 2 part regiment, if this is the recommendation then how long should I take to get it to where I want it? Assuming this is the route I should take once I get the levels where they should be where I do I start my dosing at with the dosers. I was thinking 5-10ml per day and see if the numbers hold or fluctuate up or down and adjust accordingly, should I start higher or lower?

I use salifert test kits if that matters and have two Alk kits and verified the numbers with both kits.

Appreciate and guidance, suggestions

What type of salt are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You van bring the Alk up to 9 in one shot.

You van bring the Alk up to 9 in one shot.

Thanks

I am using redsea in the blue bucket, I was doing weekly 20-25 gallon water changes up until 5 weeks ago trying to suck out and deal with the cyano and Dino's, I have since changed to every 2 weeks 20 gallon water changes.

Have you tested the newly make saltwater to see if its ALk is that low?

Have you tested the newly make saltwater to see if its ALk is that low?

I had not, I will test my next batch I will be opening a new bucket though so it won't tell me if the salt I was using is low but a good idea.

Yes the blue is about that range.
Actually the blue and Coralife marine are almost identical in lab analysis, if they are not the same salt.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back