Dosing Randy Holmes-Farley's 2 Part Additive

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
I made 2 gallons of Randy's 2 Part Additive. I have approximately a 50 gallon system. What I would like to know is how to properly dose the additives. How much will raise my Calc X ppm and How much will raise my Alk X dKh? I haven't started dosing because I'm unclear how much to add and for what water volume. Can any one help me out?

Basically what are the directions that go along with this 2 part additive?
Anyone else using this?

Jeff

if no one knows here you could try randy's forum on rc,he should be able to give you an idea

Randy is the guy to ask. If you tell him your water conditions including calcium and alk he can tell you how much to add to begin with and also maybe recomend an amount to add regularly.

I dose about 10mL every other day for my 20 gal system. I just started so I haven't dialed it in too much. I'm gonna keep testing to figure out how much my system uses.

Test

I'm using Randy's receipe as well, only I'm using dosing pumps to maintain a "steady state" if you will.

I just used a 20 cc syringe to measure.. tested, added, tested and adjusted the amount until I reached my desired levels. By then I had a fair idea of what I needed to add to raise the level X amount, e.g. 10 cc = increase of .5 dKH.

Repeated this for a few days, then dialed in the pumps to supply ~ the amount needed on a daily basis.

I'm still in the test daily phase to ensure that everything stays at the same levels or slightly less. And plan to manually readjust (hopefully) weekly.

BTW, did you have any issues with the baking soda precipitating out of solution after it had been mixed up for a few days? I had this problem, I'm actually thinking about doubling the amount of water used to mix the CA, baking soda and Mg to hopefully eliminate the problem, of course I'll have to double my infusion rates as well.

Posted an inquiry about that on the Chem forum Randy monitors, no word in response yet.

Regards
Noel

Last edited:
Noel,
I've only had the mixes in solution for 3 days (today will be my third day) So far so good. I used recipe 1 where you baked it for an hour. After it was done cooking I added it to almost boiling water and I had no problem dissolving it and it seems to be ok so far. But I'm sure if you diluted it like you said that would work too.

I put a post in the chem. forum on RC yesterday and R H-F was quick with a reply.

Maybe those of us that use it can keep a thread open and document our use and help each other out.

I too made "receipe 1" and like you, finally managed to disolving it in almost boiling water, about a week later a significant amount baking soda (NaHCO3) precipitated. I had no problem with the Magnesium (MgSO4) or the Calcium (Ca++) solutions.

I'm going to make up a new batch of baking soda solution today, but I'm going to modify the receipe so that everything is mixed in 2 gallons of RO/DI water instead of one, same proportions greater dilution. The extra water is no great shakes to me as I lose more than I dose on a daily basis.

Hopefully, the new concoction will prevent the baking soda from precipitating.

Right now I'm using two Kangaroo 324 enteric pumps to deliver the "Alk" and "Calc", running 8 cc/hr (1/2 strength solutions) to a 90 gal with 65 gal sump which is maintaining my Alkalinity at 10.2 dKH (stable) and 420 meq/L CA++ (Salifert), although today the Ca++ was up to 440, so I may need to make an adjustment when I test again tomorrow

I want to pick up another pump to dose the Magnesium at the same time. The nice thing about the dosing pumps is that once you have it more or less dialed in you can make very small adjustments.

I'm storing my solutions in Kent 5 Gal. AquaDose containers, as I really don't want to make up fresh batches more than once a week. Modified the "standard" Kangaroo feeding bags to adapt them to the Kent containers as the tubing they provided couldn't be used with the pumps.

Little trick I learned working as a Nurse (RN) repairing leaking micro naso-gastric feeding tubes, i.e. snipped off the feeding bag, cut a short length of 1/4" plastic tubing (same as used on RO filters), then superglued (gel) the tubing inside the 1/4", then superglued the 1/4" inside the 3/8" plastic tubing (like RO only 3/8") that Kent supplied with their tubing set.

It would be easier if I could find a plastic 3/8" MPT to 1/4" compression plastic compression elbow, or even a 3/8" compression to 1/4" compression adapter.

Anyway, `nuff said. I agree that it would be nice to maintain a thread for those using Randy's system.

BTW, where did you find the Dowflake? I had to order it on line and the shipping expense was outrageous in comparison the the cost of the product itself.

Regards
Noel

Last edited:
I drip Kalk 24/7 but check it every other week. When I need to bump up the calcium, I just mix the dowflakes in a 1/2 gal of water and dump it in my sump in a high flow area. That's what Randy said to do and that is what I do... I test the water again after 2-3 hrs and adjust accordingly. Same with the baking soda. Keep it simple... ;)

Here is the calculator to figure out how much to add (this is approx and you will still need to adjust up or down depending on your tank). Take it slow and keep it simple. HTH.

http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Just bringing this back to the top. How many people are using Randy's 2 (3)part additive? I'm just starting out, I have a low CA demand (I think).
And right now low CA - 300, tested before adding additive.
Alk OK according to my test ~2.8 approx m/l = RedSea test
Not very accurate test (?) I think, but only one I have used

I have used it. I've kinda slacked off on it in the last few weeks. My calcium level is really high and I have a low demand for it so I am pretty much only using the alk at the moment.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back