Dosing Vodka

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
what is your opinion on vodka dosing?? I know that a lot of peeps use this method. I am wondering if it something that I should start doing in my new display tank. I am currently using a BRS reactor with both carbon and gfo. Does the vodka replace using gfo? Is there a scale/calculator that can help with dosing amounts?

There is a time table for dosage on RC or R2R.
If you have excess nitrate AND phosphate, it helps. But also it will drain your Nitrate and Phosphate plus significantly drop the oxygen level if over dosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

501C3689-1FC3-41E6-B58D-24F02A96FCD4.jpeg

I used vinegar (same idea as vodka) for a few years solid. It definitely works efficiently and can be easily tuned, which is an advantage. But if your nutrients are already under control, it is best to avoid carbon dosing. My tank eventually became nutrient depleted, which was more of a pain than having high nutrients.

I used vinegar (same idea as vodka) for a few years solid. It definitely works efficiently and can be easily tuned, which is an advantage. But if your nutrients are already under control, it is best to avoid carbon dosing. My tank eventually became nutrient depleted, which was more of a pain than having high nutrients.
Thanks so much for the feed back!!!! I will keep an eye on things for now but good to know that there are easy fixes if needed.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back