Dots on Snowstorm clown

tbb29

Non-member
I have two snowstorm clowns that have these weird red dots on them. The only thing I can think is them nipping each other for dominance. They are kinda hard to see but I got one photo. There’s been no new introductions for atleast six months now. Any guesses?
FB5D1781-7BC2-4F23-8DF7-7C7FD598AD95.jpeg

Probably bite marks. But just to be sure, you don't see anything that looks like Brook?

Oh that is possible. I have noticed the larger one almost nipping at my frogspawn recently.... haven’t really seen true hosting behavior
I could be wrong, but if I remember right the action of them nipping at the Coral is their way of learning/building the tolerance of their slime coat needed to host said coral/anenome. Take a look, you might see black spots around their mouth too.

my pair I have did that to a torch for a while, I noticed a few black spots around their mouths. Next thing you know they were hosting it which made me get a anenome to get them out of it.

Watch to see where he sleeps at night, and if sweepers from the frogspawn are hitting him.
Clowns are still sleeping against the glass close to the surface like they’ve always been. The frogspawn was extremely closed up though

What if the snowstorm is just getting blotchy skin as it ages? The coral stinging explanation has merit though. My standard ocellaris pair used to host in a 30+ head frogspawn and would always have these unusual spots. I always stressed it was disease, I would put them in a hospital tank and the spots would disappear. Upon addition to the display with the frogspawn colony they would be hosted again and spots would return. I sold off the frogspawn, still have the clowns and never have spots. They also aren’t being hosted by any corals currently. Also no other fish in my display ever showed similar spots. Worth mentioning too my clowns actually continued spawning with spots so I was sure they were robustly healthy.

Last edited:
What if the snowstorm is just getting blotchy skin as it ages? The coral stinging explanation has merit though. My standard ocellaris pair used to host in a 30+ head frogspawn and would always have these unusual spots. I always stressed it was disease, I would put them in a hospital tank and the spots would disappear. Upon addition to the display with the frogspawn colony they would be hosted again and spots would return. I sold off the frogspawn, still have the clowns and never have spots. They also aren’t being hosted by any corals currently. Also no other fish in my display ever showed similar spots. Worth mentioning too my clowns actually continued spawning with spots so I was sure they were robustly healthy.
Usually those black marks they get with age are a decent amount of age. My ocellaris female is pushing 6 or 7 and it starting to get those dark age spots. I dont think Storms have been around long enough to be seeing that but I could be entirely wrong lol

Usually those black marks they get with age are a decent amount of age. My ocellaris female is pushing 6 or 7 and it starting to get those dark age spots. I dont think Storms have been around long enough to be seeing that but I could be entirely wrong lol
Think you’re right cuz these are babies. I got them about 9 months ago and they we very tiny when I got them. Probs around a year now

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back