Downsizing begins today! New Build.

kl3377

Non-member
I picked up my new Deep Blue Rimless RR 35 Cube and stand from Jay's today, I chose to go this route because I love the clean look that these tanks provide. This is the beginning of the end for my 120RR with a 40g sump, occupants will be moved over when the 35 is ready. My 120 has looked like crap for quite some time, it became overrun with Majano anemones, I was spending hours breeding/raising Mocha clowns and I lost interest. The last 4 Mochas went to Jay's today and I have shut down and cleaned up the 20g grow out tank. This is going to be a slow process but I thought I would document it here.

First the new tank. It looks like my 7 year old siliconed this puppy, the person who built it undoubtedly drives a car with a steering wheel completely covered in silicone from the daily ride home. About 1 1/2 hours cleaning it up and I'm not completely happy with it but a good start.

Second the stand. It is a DB Series 5. Overall seems to be well built, my only complaint with the stand is that the cut out for the bulkheads was not large enough to leave room for the nut on the underside when the tank was centered. Tank has to be centered on the stand so I had to do some cutting and touch up painting.

Here is a pic of the set up.

Last edited:
The silicon job is not that bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow unfortunate about the craftsmanship but it looks like you got it cleaned up. Good luck on the new build!

Yes, yes it is. I purchased a Deep Blue for the price and the size (it had to fit between the windows, wife's orders). I am very happy with the set-up for what I paid but the craftsmanship is definitely below average.

I will not use the bulk heads came with DB tanks. I found a pin hole leak on one of the bulkhead from the last new tank I bought.

I am pretty far out from a leak test but they dont appear to be all that different than the ones for my AGA 120. The next step is to order dry rock, I am thinking Reef Cleaners Florida base rock. I am going for rock work look similar to MedRed's Solana tank, I love the look of that tank. I was thinking Seafloor for my sand.

I will not use the bulk heads came with DB tanks. I found a pin hole leak on one of the bulkhead from the last new tank I bought.

+1. I set a DB tank up once and one of the brand new bulkheads would not seal either. Upon further review there was a hairline crack.

I am thinking about a Eshopps Cube Nano Fuge, the only down side is that I would have to remove the top of the stand to get it inside. The other options are a Eshopp RS-75 sump or customizing a standard 5 gallon which would work but be tight. Would appreciate hearing from any one running the Eshopps Cube.

Ordered my Florida Reef Rock today from ReefCleaners. I already have fiberglass rods and epoxy, can't wait to start aquascaping.

Good luck on the new build. I'm also downsizing from a 135g to a 40b. For dsome of us the maintenance gets in the way of the enjoyment. I'll be tagging along.

Rock came in a few days ago, John at Reefcleaners responded quickly to my email and the order shipped withing a day or two. I ordered 30 pounds and I am kicking myself because even another 5 lbs would make me feel a little better about what I need to achieve the look I want. I began by finding the more stable rocks I could use for a base then I tried to build up from there. I am planning three arms with none taller than 14"/15" (2" of sand, water level 1" lower than top, room for the SPS at the top to grow) and here is a pic of this evenings progress.

I also ordered some clear plastic clips off ebay for the screen top I am going to make. I bought ones that shipped from China because they were the only ones I could find that were clear and not white, also time frame wasn't a factor. Came in today and actually look great. Now I need to find clear screen, BRS has it but they fold it up and put it in an envelope. For this reason I will look locally.

Good luck on the new build. I'm also downsizing from a 135g to a 40b. For dsome of us the maintenance gets in the way of the enjoyment. I'll be tagging along.

My 120 has been up for almost 9 years and it was the result of upgrading from a 50. i definitely lost interest and am hoping that a simpler, minimalists approach will rekindle my passion for reefing. Good luck with your new project as well.

Aquascaping Day 2 - One more hole to drill for a rod and I ran out of putty to finish up fastening things.

Front View (possibly)

Side View

So the build has really been poking along. First I got suckered in to painting the living room, it went like this "think about how long the other tank has been there, if we (love this - we) paint it now it would be some much easier" and you know the rest. Then I had to build my sump, buy a return pump, get another order of dry rock for the sump, and so on. That along with sending my daughter off to college and hockey season for my son starting have all helped me take my time on this which is what I wanted. Here are a few pics. Sump has been flowing for about a week, up to the overflow and right back down to the sump. Good news is that the Deep Blue bulkheads have not leaked. Also, I seeded the dry rock in the sump with some rock/sand from my existing 120. Tonight I am filling the tank.

System is up and running and I have moved some things over from my 125. Moved two of my tank raised Mochas (I raised these guys) and two GBTA's to the sump. Bought some Scarlet Hermits and a handful of Banded Trochus for the sump. Water test look good to this point. Next big ticket item is the Kessil for the display tank.

Looking good - like the little arch in your sump (it's like a display sump but all hidden away).

I have become pretty good with fiberglass rod and jb weld. I have 35lbs of dry rock in my display and wanted to be around 50lbs so I added 15 to the sump. I needed to split up my 4 Mochas because the display is too small so I went the sump/fuge/mini display root in the basement.

Took a big step on the build today and got the light for the display. Have to admit, it looks awesome. Better than the crappy cell phone pic.

Can you give a little more info on the sand, I'm doing a build and the sand you used looks like the perfect texture not too fine or coarse. Very nice rock work.

Jim

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back