Drill Aqueon Tank?

zreefer

Non-member
Local Petco is having a sale on tanks. Wondering, is there a known problem drilling Aqueon tanks? Reading online people seem to be having issues because the glass may or may not be tempered.

Thanks for the help folks

Local Petco is having a sale on tanks. Wondering, is there a known problem drilling Aqueon tanks? Reading online people seem to be having issues because the glass may or may not be tempered.

Thanks for the help folks
I have a 20gallon that I drilled the bottom.
If it’s tempered there would be a sticker saying so

I think most should be safe to drill except the 55gs. I've heard all of those are made with tempered glass to sustain the pressure given their narrow/tall dimensions.

You should be able to find out if any glass is tempered by looking at it with polarized sunglasses. If you see the patterns (like car windshield) it means it's tempered. Also look for perfect finishing on the edges. if it's less than perfect, it's probably not tempered.

Drilled an Aqueon 40B, but that was years ago.

As far as I know, all standard 55g tanks are tempered (like Arsalan said).

I just drilles a Aqueon 40 Breeder last week. Here's some info from their website:
Aqueon Glass Aquariums Tempered vs. Non Tempered: Due to glass availability, Central Aquatics may temporarily substitute regular or non-tempered glass panels with tempered glass panels. Anytime a glass substitution is made, a sticker will be adhered to the aquarium bottom as a precaution to the end user.

My 75 that I just bought has the tempered sticker on the bottom. Does this mean all sides are tempered? This is a huge bummer as I plan to drill it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 75 that I just bought has the tempered sticker on the bottom. Does this mean all sides are tempered? This is a huge bummer as I plan to drill it!

Yes
Not necessarily. The bottom panel is often tempered. I'd be willing to bet the sides are not and therefore drill-able. Call the manufacturer for final say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back