EcoTech MP40 replacement screen

mind

Non-member
I designed and printed a MP40 wetside in ABS. Still fine tuning dimensions, but I thought I would share.

Attachments

• img0.jpg
    img0.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 308
  • img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 300
are you trying to sell these?

I had not really thought about it yet. It is a 5 hour print at 4800mm/sec on a Voron printer. Most printers can only do 2400mm/sec. Ideally, one should still do several hours of vapor smoothing on the item.

Someone put something up on thingiverse and a bunch of people are now making it and selling it on Ebay and Etsy, but they all look like crap IMO. Prices are about $8 each for those. Ecotech will sell you a replacement cage for $5.25. Lets say that I charged $10 each. I could make 2-3/day, so that would be $20/day.... do I really want to tie up a 3D printer for that?

In a perfect world, one would print it in PETG, and not ABS or ASA.

PLA = what most of the Etsy ones seem to be made of because they come in different colors and is NOT 'food safe'
ABS = will NOT like extended UV exposure
ASA = ok with UV exposure
PETG = ok with UV exposure AND "food safe" (ideal for your tank), but with a print like this will have LOTS of 'whisps' of plastic coming off it AND it cannot be vapor smoothed without access to some really toxic chmeicals.

So your options are: PETG or ASA.

The existing ones on the market are made in several colors that only PLA comes in..... I would NOT put them into a tank.

Maybe I am just missing something here? Run 10 printers 24/7 and make $50k/year less filament, electricity/etc ?

Fwiw I just bought one of these from one of the ebay sellers. The print quality is "meh" but it will work. They used ABS. Next time I will go for a PETG part.

In terms of vapor smoothing, do you think it's advisable to use acetone? I've got zero experience with 3d printing but I do have acetone on hand. I would love it if the part looked a little better given that it will be in the tank.

Well, you can vapor-smooth ABS or ASA, but not PETG (well, you can if you want to mess with REALLY, REALLY nasty chemicals!!).

If you are north of Boston, let me know and I can meet you somewhere and toss you one to play with.

Current design is a little different, and has interchangeable "shields" that can be used to direct water flow. I left some at Love-The-Reef and they put them in some of their tanks to try out.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back