Electric bill - How many kW?

Armando

v 4.0
Mine this month was 3350 kw
Thud.gif

My bill at teh new house has been running about $170.
Except for one month we were charged $17..???!!
Not sure but I'm pretty sure they screwed up somwhere

You've got 1000 watts of lights, right? So thats 1 kWH for each hour your lights are on. A 10 hour light cycle would be 310 hours per month at $0.11 per kWH (my rate) would cost $35 per month. You've probably got 300 watts of heaters and a few hundred watts of pumps running too, and the pumps run 24 hours a day, so I'll bet your parents aren't exagerating any more than parents usually do!

Welcome to the house of reefer pain!

Nate

Armando said:
Mine this month was 3350 kw
Thud.gif

Armando! :eek: That's incredible! Must be all those hours in your tanning bed!

(My bill this month is 680 kWH, but that's because I've got one of those very efficient light bulbs on my porch . . . and a big extension cord coming out of my neighbor's garage that I run my air conditioners on ;))

Well March of 2003 with no Reef Tanks in the House 742KWH. March 2004 with Tanks running 1474KWH/$165.10

Peaked this year in Feb. with 2007KWH ($247). This month down to 1682KWH ($208). The 400 W MH go in this week, so I'll update next month. Could be worse. Armando, what the hell are you running? I have 2 Iwaki pumps, MH lights, elec. stove, hot tub outside, etc......yikes!

1530KW for $168. Besides supporting general household stuff, I have two tanks (both with MH) and an outdoor hottub ;)

I haven't really been keeping track, but I'd say an extra $20 since I added MH, all total about $90/mo. In KW, 695 for April. I like Nate's idea, but our neighbors are too far, darn it.

Last edited:
Nate, it would cost a heck lot less to have a tanning bed for me than this tanning box for the corals.

Time for some math....

I have 7 halides 250W and 5 halides 150W

7 x 250W + 5 x 150W = 2500W just for lights.

I guess I should stop here
Noooo.gif

I hate these threads....bad karma or something.
Bad winter for outdoor hot tubs, electric hot water and the reef(s) on top of it.
Lets just say happy to see the summer here and the bills out of the 400s

I'm breaking down my 55g, moving the lights to the basement on my 75g. So my bill will decrease w/removal of 3 powerheads & the return pump & heater.
Plus w/heating system over & heating system not running I'm hoping it will drop some more.
But maybe (most likely) not, I just turned the pump on for the pool :eek:
And I'm planning on installing a Solar heating system w/separate pump for the pool. So maybe I'll even out - around $173

Well I feel your pain at 5x250de's,5x175se's,1x150de,440vho,65pc,2 chillers,4 main pumps ect,ect,ect uhggg I think I am going to be sick :eek:

Talk about having the police kick down your door for "illegal growing activities" .... can you smoke an SPS ?

Back