Elegance Coral

Richard Kagen

Non-member
Bought an elegance coral at FFM, tried him now in two different locations. In a pretty shady spot now. Everything else from FFM (ok 15 pieces of coral) are doing well except the red goni. Elegance not really opening. He closes up at night but still pretty constricted during the lights. ALK 8.5, CA 470. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200310_123321.jpg
    20200310_123321.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 211
Bought an elegance coral at FFM, tried him now in two different locations. In a pretty shady spot now. Everything else from FFM (ok 15 pieces of coral) are doing well except the red goni. Elegance not really opening. He closes up at night but still pretty constricted during the lights. ALK 8.5, CA 470. Thoughts?
Sorry to hear that! I bought one also and its doing great. Have it up high and in the light. I've also fed it some shrimp.

Alk may be a bit low... I seem to remember they like alk a little higher when I had an elegance...

I am out of the ALK reagent. I don't want to play with dosing without reliable test. It is due Friday when i will start heading slowly to 9.5-10 as Frank180 suggests

I'm not sure your tank parameters are the problem. I'll be the first one to suggest carefully managing the alkalinity of your tank and it can't hurt to keep it up, but...

Elegance corals are near bulletproof once established, but can be very tricky in the first month or so. Low flow and moderate light and no fish annoying them is ideal. They actually like a high nutrient tanks as well as they used to do really well in tanks back 20-30 years ago. Tanks back then also rarely had good control of alkalinity.

There's a well known problem with Elegance corals, particularly ones collected from the reef. Sometimes a short treatment with antibiotics can help. Julian Sprung discussed this many years ago. If you're going to consider such a treatment you need to do it very soon.

I run Alk at 8.5 and am a heavy feeder with large SPS colonies in my 120g. My elegance has very long polys and is in very low light below a large blue stag, 26" deep tank.

IMG_20200328_181706.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back