EuroReef Modification: So quiet now!!

jAKE

Non-member
I just added an elbow and a gate valve to my Euroreef CS8-2 riser tube and I cannot get over how quiet it runs now. No more annoying spilling water sound! I really hated hearing the water falling sound from the EuroReef at night when I was trying to get to sleep (It sounded to much like a sump overflowing, which is a terrifying sound to anyone who has worken up to an overflowing sump!). I am very excited about the adjustablilty of the setup as well.

I am sure that people have posted similar modifications before but I thought I would provide the details what I used and how I installed it in case it helps someone in the club.

Materials needed were purchased from Lowes
? ?? MPT x Slip 90? Elbow Cost ~$0.60

? 1?? PVC Pipe. This cost me ~$4.50 since they only sold 10? lenghts. You only need about a 4 ? section to connect the T to the elbow coming out of the skimmer.

? 1?" slip x ?" FPT x 1?" slip t the perpendicualr portion is ?? Cost ~ $1.20

I already had the following material on hand so I am just guessing the cost

? ?? Gate valve slip X slip 8-10 dollars
? ?? slip x slip 90? Elbow Everyone has one of these lying around
? ? ? PVC tubing Ditto

So I only spent $6.30 for the modification but if I had to buy all components it would still have cost me no more than $20.00.

1.) I added a 1.5" slip x 0.75" FPT x 1.5" slip t fitting on the elbow where the riser tube usually sits. On top of this I placed the riser tube and raised it so that if for some reason the gate valve gets clogged the water will fall out of the riser tube a couple of inches before it would over flow into the collection cup. Murphy pretty much guarantees this will happen so this is an important aspect to test.

2.) I screwed the ?? MPT x Slip 90? Elbow into the ? FTP fitting on the T. The Elbow was clocked so the slip opening would face the front of the sump parallel to the water surface.

3.) Using a small length of ?? PVC Gate valve was attached to this elbow. All PVC was attached using friction only, no glue or solvents used ? this is in the sump after all and if I get an occasional drip leaking out I could care less

4.) Using another small length of ? PVC the ?? slip x slip 90? Elbow was attached to the other end of Gate valve with the open end facing down.

5.) A length of ? PVC was added to the elbow to place the return 1-2 inches below the surface.

6.) Turned the skimmer on with the gate valve fully opened and then closed it slowly until the desired level was attained in the skimmer.

The skimmer now runs silently (Except for a little pump vibration) and the gate valve allows me to control the skimmer height level down to 1/8 of an inch. You could save a little money using a ball valve, but I think the Gate is worth the extra $ for the precision and east of use it provides.

I am a Happy Camper!!! I really wish I did this 2 years ago.

Regards

Jake

Jake, thanks for sharing the details of the mod... maybe you can post some pics?

One question: were you using the sponge before, or just letting the water spill freely from the top of the riser tube? The reason I'm asking is because most of the noise in my EuroReef comes from the air intake, not from the water output (but I'm using the sponge).

Btw, I moved this to the DIY forum.

Nuno

No I stopped using the sponge a while back due to concerns of it becoming a little wet dry filter/nitrate factory. After removing it I then I lost it. It was quieter with the sponge than without but now it is silent. I really do not hear the air intake very much on mine.

Also: This modification could also be used (With a longer pipe lenghts) to direct the "Skimmed" water over to another area in the sump or to the immediate area of the return pumps intake.

i tried to install this but it didn't work with my CS-8-2 and ES-5-3.

Even with the 3/4" gate valve fully open, there was a skimmer overflow. This was a leftover 3/4" gate valve I had so not a big deal.

I ordered 1 1/2" gate valves, that should work OK.

I've been dragging my feet on this for a while but I think I will be doing the same thing soon to my ASM G3. Do you know if the Euroreefs and ASM have the same dia riser tubes? Would love to see a pic of yours too.

Armando,

I am very surprised by your experience. I have the CS8-2 with the 5000 sedra pump and as long as the venturi is clean I have no problem with the pump overwhelming the ? gate valve. Might your venturi be clogged or obstructed? When mine is clogged or more resistant to air intake I have noticed that the amount of water moved by the sedra is dramatically increased. Could this account for the drastic difference we are experiencing in water moved using the same skimmer and probably the same pump?

I run the gate valve @ about 60-70% open (best guesstimate) and have lowered the water level to the middle of the union. The amount of skimmate I am removing and the thickness of the foam is remarkable better. Of course, I did some other modifications when I did this one that may be effecting performance.

I cleaned the venturi and pump out with white vinegar. The venturi was still filled with Ca deposits upon inspection so I used a pair of curved tweezers to scrape the area where it meats with the pump intake. Then I used a 5/32 drill to clean out the venturi inlet of deposits. The area where the Venturi meets the pump inlet actually had some plastic removed by the drilling even though the venturi ID is supposed to be 5/32. The amount of air sucked in increased noticibly. I also raised my sump level an inch from ~6 ? depth to about 7 ?. I lowered the skimmer water level about 5 inches and now I am collecting much more wet skimmate and the whole neck is filled with a heavy foam and a dry skimmate coating. I have heard that boring out the venturi with 3/16 drill increases the amount of air further and enhances skimming.

Syris,

I will try to get pictures.

Regards

Jake

Last edited:
jAKE,

i think the gate valve I have is not a standard one. It came with my sump, I believe it restricts the flow a bit.

I recently did a full clean on the skimmer and pump, so the venturi is probably OK, although I have tons of encrusting duster worms grown in the sump lately.

Could also be because the skimmer is quite submersed in the sump.

I think the 1 1/2 gate valves will work great. The 1 or 1 1/4 could also be OK but i didn't want to take the chances so I ordered the 1 1/2 ones.

FYI - I think Euro reef strongly encourages not submersing tthe model we have much more than 8 or 9 inches. I had called Jeff @ euroreef about immersion depth for the slkimmer before and that was what he told me. I think it limits the amount of air the venturi sucks in

Back