Filter socks vs fleece rollers...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Who's swapped over to fleece rollers from years of using filter socks? Just looking to create some conversation and see what peoples pros and cons are from the switch?

Also for you fleece roller people do you ever bleach and clean and reuse your fleece? I've read some people soak them in bleach and reuse them...

So I do not use a fleece roller, but I ended up swapping my filter socks out for poly fill. I 3D printed some cups that would fit into a typical filter sock holder. I didn't end up using the cover I just leave the top open. When the poly fill is full I just toss it out and add some new stuff.
E1FE5D71-CE4C-4DA2-B79D-8E952FAAC404.jpeg

I switched. Love not having to reach in and switch the socks every week. Also love not having to bleach the socks, so I have no desire to clean the fleece.

For me the switch was purely for ease of maintenance. The roller isn't perfect, but probably won't go back. I have the klir.

I have the bubble magnus and use paper filter rolls from a guy in Michigan. I have to change the roll every 2-4 months.

I bought a Klir 4 when they went on sale. With the Klir the water is crystal clear, but the roll only lasts around 2 weeks. Every 2 weeks the Klir has to be disconnected and taken out of the sump in order to replace the roll. Klir recommends 2 rollers for the gph, but then I’d probably have to replace 2 rolls every 3 - 4 weeks @ $12.60 a roll.

The filter roller does a great job of removing particles from the water, but I am probably going to remove it from my sump. It feels counterproductive to add phyto and reef roids, etc and then have the filter roller strip the water until crystal clear and constantly keep the water crystal clear.

Last edited:
I use socks, they're a PITA but still use them. Maybe I'll switch to pads to try that out, No room for a roller in my setup.

I switched from the pia socks to filter floss via cup, I use the red sea cup but i like the look of what Frag Freaks has made. The problem with most of the cups is the depth, if you fill it with filter floss you waste a lot. I've added Matrix to the lower portion to add some additional biological and now I use much less filter floss. I just pull it out and dump it every three for four days, go through a bag a month. NEVER GOING BACK TO SOCKS!

I've been tempted to use either. New tech is always attractive. I pretty much run a baffle-less sump, just separate tanks that are connected.

I feed really heavy, at least five times a day, but my refugium keeps up. Ten years ago, my fish were barely fed.

If I didn't run a refugium, it'll be roller mat all day.

Last edited:
I swapped from an eshops sump with a sock wich I cleaned twice a week. to a trigger triton sockless and ill Never go back to filter socks. The refugium does a great job. My next sump however I’m planning to incorporate a clarisea roller in hopes of keeping the fuge cleaner. Plus I’m a sucker for cool new stuff.

So I do not use a fleece roller, but I ended up swapping my filter socks out for poly fill. I 3D printed some cups that would fit into a typical filter sock holder. I didn't end up using the cover I just leave the top open. When the poly fill is full I just toss it out and add some new stuff.

How long do they usually past before you swap them out?

I've been tempted to use either. New tech is always attractive. I pretty much run a baffle-less sump, just separate tanks that are connected.

I feed really heavy, at least five times a day, but my refugium keeps up. Ten years ago, my fish were barely fed.

If I didn't run a refugium, it'll be roller mat all day.

Currently I'm in the same boat. 7 fish in a 25 gallon with one being a mandarin so I feed the tank super heavy but so far the HOB fuge keeps up. Contemplating just doing a fuge and skimmer when I do a sump.

The filter roller does a great job of removing particles from the water, but I am probably going to remove it from my sump. It feels counterproductive to add phyto and reef roids, etc and then have the filter roller strip the water until crystal clear and constantly keep the water crystal clear.

This is also a reason I would just stick with the fuge and skimmer since I usually dose a ton of phyto to go along with my heavy feeding...

Do you guys think in some way a filter sock or roller could also be harming your reef? Like they strip everything from the water and now there isnt fish waste for coral and others.

Do you guys think in some way a filter sock or roller could also be harming your reef? Like they strip everything from the water and now there isnt fish waste for coral and others.

These series of articles from 2003 and 2002 are interesting to read. The following are just a few paragraphs from the 1st part of the food series.

“Stony corals, for example, rely heavily on the capture of zooplankton to meet their energy needs.”

“Coral reef food sources, then, are largely produced by the ocean. Bacteria, detritus, phytoplankton, zooplankton, small benthic fauna, mucus, and dissolved organic and inorganic material of various types and sizes are what comprise the majority of food on a coral reef.

Are We, As Aquarists, Providing It?
In a word, No.”

“As a result of the often unnaturally elevated nutrient levels in aquaria, we employ a number of nutrient export devices, such as filters, ozonizers, and protein skimmers (foam fractionators). We also tend to add these devices to avoid or limit another common nutrient export mechanism, the water change. Unfortunately, it is a serious and probably deleterious compromise in many ways. Such devices actively strip the water column of the very bacteria, detritus, mucus, and plankton that exist, limiting the effectiveness of our captive community to deal with the nutrients and, in return, providing food sources within the food web. When the water column is "stripped" of its productive elements, the populations of filter feeding and predatory sessile invertebrates are compromised, as is the productivity of the substrate communities - including the live rock and live sand with their associated microbial, floral, and faunal components. However, if we do not "purify" the water, we may encounter nutrient problems and react with limited feeding schedules. It is quite literally a Catch-22.”

These series of articles from 2003 and 2002 are interesting to read. The following are just a few paragraphs from the 1st part of the food series.

“Stony corals, for example, rely heavily on the capture of zooplankton to meet their energy needs.”

“Coral reef food sources, then, are largely produced by the ocean. Bacteria, detritus, phytoplankton, zooplankton, small benthic fauna, mucus, and dissolved organic and inorganic material of various types and sizes are what comprise the majority of food on a coral reef.

Are We, As Aquarists, Providing It?
In a word, No.”

“As a result of the often unnaturally elevated nutrient levels in aquaria, we employ a number of nutrient export devices, such as filters, ozonizers, and protein skimmers (foam fractionators). We also tend to add these devices to avoid or limit another common nutrient export mechanism, the water change. Unfortunately, it is a serious and probably deleterious compromise in many ways. Such devices actively strip the water column of the very bacteria, detritus, mucus, and plankton that exist, limiting the effectiveness of our captive community to deal with the nutrients and, in return, providing food sources within the food web. When the water column is "stripped" of its productive elements, the populations of filter feeding and predatory sessile invertebrates are compromised, as is the productivity of the substrate communities - including the live rock and live sand with their associated microbial, floral, and faunal components. However, if we do not "purify" the water, we may encounter nutrient problems and react with limited feeding schedules. It is quite literally a Catch-22.”

Ever since I ditched my skimmer and went with just a HOB fuge my tank has never looked better so I'd have to say there's def some truth to the above. Now you're making me contemplate not even adding a skimmer to my next tank and sump lol...

"Horticulture" and aquaculture go hand in hand IMO. My bulb from HD got replaced by a Kessil H160 years ago and currently contemplating reducing light times. Maybe that's how Reef2Reef got it's name ;).

I used filter floss for several years. About 6 months ago, I removed it and now just use a small skimmer for nutrient export. The tank is healthier than ever now, especially the acros. Every system is unique though, and my tank is not a heavy import-heavy export tank. If it was, I think I would go back to the floss, since it is the best at reducing nutrients, and labor-wise, is hard to beat.

I am now considering removing my filter sock lmao. I just dont have any worms in my tank. I think the way I dip does not allow them in at all. Hhmm anyone around Worcester that can spare a few bristle worms lol

Back