Finally getting the tank wet.

mvallee

Non-member
Well it has been a lot of work getting rid of all my FW fish, Rock sand, cleaning up aquascaping and of course spending lots of money but I am finally adding water.

wet.JPG

Forgot how slow RODI gets when the water is this cold. it is a double membrane 180GPD day unit but in 30 minutes produced just under 2 gallons and that is with the 2-1 restrictor.
Like they say in reefing nothing good happens fast :)

I still have some work to do in the sump but I can get the Display portion started at least with the curing process, probably another week before I can get the sump wet but we'll see. I am waiting on some brackets to mount the ATO tank over the sump and need to remove the sump to screw in the brackets but once that's done I am done.

Thanks all, my goal was more exposed sand, my last tank had very little exposed sand, I really like the look of long polyped soft coral swaying in the currents so hoping to make good use of the sand space for that plus towards the end of my last tank I started adding leopard wrasses and a few other wrasses that need sand space and hoping to get back to that point.
The pukani is super porous and lots of nooks and crannies for hiding spaces for the critters too so hoping I do not miss the big rock piles too much,
I do doubt my decision sometimes though when I start watching others videos and they have all this rock covered in beautiful corals. We'll see how this tank evolves rockwork can always be changed.
One step at a time and all baby steps with this tank.

That looks great. Is one of those rocks glued or hung by magnets?
Thanks
The one in the middle is a pukani shelf that I cut and shaped to wrap around the overflow and glued in place with a combination of putty and gel superglue. I am hoping I can get a BTA or two on there and being isolated they will stay put.
My original plan was to drill and tie wrap the pieces to the overflow but then when I tried to drill through found it they used glass to make the overflow on the redsea reefers.

hanging rock 1.JPG
hanging rock 2.JPG

Last edited:
Just as a heads up, nems will walk all over the glass. They really need to be isolated by 2-3” of sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand won’t actually stop them but they don’t really like it. Found that out recently lol

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back