First reef 40B

8/19 fairy wrasse and missing gramma
20190821_115510.jpg

The lfs did not know what wrasse this was and said it was ugly...so I brought it home. The royal gramma and it ignored each other for most part so everything seemed okay.

But now there is no sight of the royal gramma. I have a net top but.... Maybe my cat ate it? I have also realized that this might be a blue sided fairy wrasse. But non of the images show this wrasse with a black dot on its tail so im not sure what to do. Any thoughts people?
20190606_211246.jpg

8/21 updated build list

1xpetco 40 breeder
1xpetsmart stand from 65 gallon setup
1xhydra 26
Settings :Capture+_2019-08-21-13-12-42.png
1xhygger 200w heater
1xaquaclear70 (converted refugium)

1xocean box aquaclear surface skimmer
1xmame skimmer
1xmp10
1xjebao 0w-10
1×bunch of used dry rock
1xhydor smart leveled
1xdouble sided tape cuz kitren
1xsome pond pump from lowes rated at 50gph(used for ATO)

8/14-8/16 ish still fine tuning the ATO

I tested the ATO system at some point and when the tube was in the water it back flowed. Good thing I did a trial run. However I didnt think much of the salt water being backflowed into the ATO bucket. This will become important soon.
Install check valve on the ends of tubing so it won't siphon back to ATO vessel.

It can be hard to keep SPS in a new tank. Even when the parameters all look good. Might be worth starting with some softies or lps until the tank gets more established.

Not sure in the wrasse. Looks like some kind of fairy but so many different kinds out there... the more you look the more types you will want!

It can be hard to keep SPS in a new tank. Even when the parameters all look good. Might be worth starting with some softies or lps until the tank gets more established.

Not sure in the wrasse. Looks like some kind of fairy but so many different kinds out there... the more you look the more types you will want!
Yeah if they all die off I might try an lps. Wish me luck!

8/25

Everything looks good. Ive stopped daily water checks and am just going to do weekly now. I will probably do salinity more often since its easy.
20190825_205734.jpg

I added 5 turbo snails and 1 more trochus. The diatoms are starting to slowly dissapear but Im seeing some green algae but only small patches.

I also got 2 more corals, my last two until the frag show which I'll prob onlly get 2 more and wait till the end of the year when I can get my second hydra for other half of my tank.

Unnamed
20190825_193103.jpg

Rainbow acro
20190825_192902.jpg

9/20/2019 big update

I come home and realize that 2 of my corals are starting to bleach but nothing has changed. I check my parameters and all of sudden my nitrates and phospates are at 0. However thanks to the advice of Dong I realize this isnt the full story and check my refugium. The chaeto has started to melt and is releasing toxins in the water. So I turn my refugium off line. However for the next week those 2 coral die off and my nitrates and phospates are stuck at 0 and I believe dinos start to take over my tank and the green coraline on my rocks disappears.

I then decide to add 2 more wrasses but the blue sided is a big bully. I ultimately have to take everything out the tank to catch him and put him in my hob filter/ refugium. I rescape and its actually a way better scape. However dinos continue to take over my tank and nitrates and phosphate stuck at 0. I am feed 3x more than normal at this point. I decided to take the skimmer offline. However to compensate for less gas exchange I turn the HOB back on and guess what hapoens the next morning?
The snails are ripping the dinos off and for the next few days it dissapears and the green coraline comes back. Turns out I was having a flow problem on the top part of my tank. That's why only those 2 coral in low flow area suffered.

Currently nitrates and phospates are still stuck at 0 but other params are fine. Also I added 9 more banded trochus snails.

I learned that mp20 and jebao version are not enough flow at full power for a 40B.
20190914_203013.jpg

Back

20190914_202808.jpg

Front

Attachments

• 20190914_202823.jpg
    20190914_202823.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 348
Flow flow flow! A benefit of BB is the ability to add more flow. Might be a good idea to add one basically at or pointing to the bottom of the tank. It will help with indirect flow to the rest of the tank and keep the bottom clean.

Yeah I am finding with just 2 I cant get Surface agitation, bottom of the taank and both sides of scape. I also just noticed pink coraline algae growing on the bottom for first time. So things are looking up.

9/29/2019 new fish

There's not much to add. I'm finally seeing very small amounts of nutrients thanks to reef roids. Also I added a midas blenny and some new corals
20190929_165550.jpg

Some tennis with really blue polyops. The body is a little blue brown but its in a low light area for room to grow
20190929_165451.jpg

You know what is. Hype beast
20190929_165357.jpg

Happy stick Bananna Acro from fragtastic show
20190929_165319.jpg

20190929_165331.jpg

10/17/2019 kalwasser

Made a kalwasser dripper since i noticed my alkalinity dropping faster than my once a week water changes. Alk is now stable at 7.5. It will probably slowly go up with each water change. Water is foggy and noticed baby trochus snails.
A little bubble algae so I got a couple more dwarf blue hermits. Still struggling with nutrients so I'm planning to add another fish!

10/29/2019

Ive added a 4 line wrasse ,pintail, and emerald crab and maxima. Ive noticed my polyop extension is coming back. I'm guess the 4 line has started wiping out some of the vermited snails. Also ive had 2 emerald crabs before but they all bothered my sps. I made sure to get a female and I have watched her it bubble algae!

I added a black and white maxima clam. Heres a video from my webcam to see how its moving in case its in too low par. The lfs mentioned they had it at around 100 par. I moved it to a 150 par ish area and it moved a lot so I placed it on the bottom on to a plate.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back