Fish Room

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Well, I had the best intentions today....to get my fish room underway. Here is a B4

Attachments

• DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 595
I am right there with you Jay. I started to finish my basement for my 180 in wall.I have 1 wall framed and the stand built. Havent touched it in atleast a month.

no, I got further than the first picture shows....here is the side view....

Attachments

• Sideviewb4.jpg
    Sideviewb4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 579
The problem I ran into was that I needed to move my ghetto stand that held my refugium, cryptic zone, inline heaters, and timeout tank away from the wall. I needed to move my sump as well. It is a rubbermade 150, with at least 200# of LR in it. My skimmer was in the sump as well. I say 'was' because a an errant stud fell on it while setting the wall up, and it smashed the skimmer body,AND cracked my refugium. :( :(

The room will end up with 2 windows, and I think I am going to change the entry door into a 9 lite to get more natural light into the rest of the basement.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 580
Here is the result of a lot of water and plumbing moved...space to put up the wall

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 573
I built and insulated a platform for the sump, and everything is compact, together, and at least 24" off the walls, so i have some space to work. What a PITA. :D Everything is gravity fed, with just my reeflo tarpon feeding the 2 tanks upstairs, and gravity from the drain doing the rest.

Attachments

• tanks.jpg
    tanks.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 575
Here is the interim side view. After I shovel out, I'm going to HD to look at fixtures and going to get what I need to rough in the electrical. I've also got to figure out WTF* I'm going to do about my skimmer. I can't go skimmer-less for long. 1 errant 78";ong 2x4 board, I'm figuring, cost about 400 bucks, between breaking the skimmer and the tank. :eek: At least I had a spare 40g to replace it with, but now have no frag tank to set up......C'est la vie......

* = What The Fish :D

Attachments

• newside.jpg
    newside.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 571
Looking good ,Jay.
Hope you get everything you need to finish up.
One question:
Is the whited out tank the "cryptic zone"?
That's a new one,heard something about it,but never investigated.

Looking good ,Jay.
Hope you get everything you need to finish up.
One question:
Is the whited out tank the "cryptic zone"?
That's a new one,heard something about it,but never investigated.

cryptic zone....a lot of LR and slow flow....no light. sponges, fan worms, etc. Pods grow in there too. The whited out tank has a clear front, but it is turned around for plumbing convenience for now....it's a DSB, but there ended up being a bunch of xenia, palys, zoos, etc. in there. The light is going back on this afternoon.

are you going to sheetrock and finish any of the walls and cieling?

once I get the rough electric done, and the thermostat wiring for the heat zone, and the rough plumbing for the slop sink....sheetrock is next. :cool:

I am going to build out the walls with 2" rigid insulation first. I'm hoping to get tothis on Tuesday after work.....unless work runs to 11:00PM, which is how most work days are going now. :(

Still trying to figure out what to do about no skimmer

progress.....rigid insulation, studs over the concrete kneewall, rough wiring, thermostat wiring, CAT5 box for my ACIII. It is REMARKABLE how much less heating it is taking to do the tank, now that the air sealing has been done, and the foil backing on the rigid insulation is reflecting heat in and cold out. Once the slider goes in, and the rest of the basement is segregated, it will be even easier. Of course....there's a heating zone off the furnace to deal with as well.

Attachments

• Insulated.jpg
    Insulated.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 471
view from the other side. Since the furnace is over on this side, I'm going to run about 12 feet of baseboard over here. Lighting is tomorrow, and I think sheetrock this weekend, or maybe Monday

Attachments

• Insulated2.jpg
    Insulated2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 467
quick progress Jay,good job. Any work that keeps those heaters off is well worth it.

I've already shut down 750W of heaters, and calculate I'll be doing 500-750 more after sheetrock, leaving only my ACIII controlled aquanetics fireplugs.

Last winter at peak I had 2750W of heaters running in my basement, and the temps for the water got down to 74-75 on the coldest nights when lights were off. In fairness, I am running 40g less volume down there right now, but I plan on firing up a frag tank shortly after I see the next 40g come up for a reasonable price in the FS threads.....

Well, here are some updates. Got the jamb kit installed, and some sheet rock.

Attachments

• Door1.jpg
    Door1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 403
sheet rock has definitely given me a more finished look.....sorry for the blurry pictures....I'm lightless in there for now. The strapping is nearly done on the ceiling, expect that to be up before the weekend

Attachments

• Sheet2.jpg
    Sheet2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 413
Back