Fish trap

wrassefan

Intentionally Left Blank
BRS Member
Anyone have a fish trap to catch a 4" hippo? Losing zoos by the day. Was hoping he would stop...I think he likes them. 2 colonies haven't opened in days and just started out of no where. I've had him almost 2yrs.!!
:eek:

Sorry to hear that.
You must really love your zoos? If I had to choose zoos or a hippo I had had for 2 years.....I would have to pick The Buffet is Open Son

Heh. I woulda liked a zoanthid pruner in my old 55.
Those things overtook some of my SPS corals.

Good luck with the trap, Wrassefan.

I borrowed one from Dennis and it is real simple to make with one of those $5 small animal tanks from walmart, that way you can pick your size.

marco67 said:
Sorry to hear that.
You must really love your zoos? If I had to choose zoos or a hippo I had had for 2 years.....I would have to pick The Buffet is Open Son

I've been waiting patiently to see how much damage he is doing... I didn't mind some but I don't want a lawn mower creating a vast wasteland in the front of my tank.

put a rubberband around it and something to hold the lid open like stiff plastic tube, with a fishing line on it. Put food in the trap when the fish swims in pull out the little tube holding it open and it will clamp shut.

We have one of the tube type fish traps you can borrow. It has a trap door that slides down. I think Doug is finished catching fish with it. We used it to catch a large sailfin ( now with Joe Fitz). You should be able to catch the hippo with it. The DIY is just a plastic hinged box. You wrap an elastic band around it with the stick to keep it open. A sting is tied to the stick, when the fish enters the trap the string in pulled. Like the old bird trap with the upside down box. The problem is that you need an elastic that will close the box quickly to trap the fish. This means the box usually goes flying knocking corals everywhere.

just put some rock in the trap to keep it down.....but the tube one looks better :)

PenMan said:
We have one of the tube type fish traps you can borrow. It has a trap door that slides down. I think Doug is finished catching fish with it. We used it to catch a large sailfin ( now with Joe Fitz). You should be able to catch the hippo with it. ...

PenMan, I would appreciate the loaner. I'm going to watch the hippo a bit longer and determine if I need to remove it. I'll pm you later.

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas.

hmmm...I'm keeping my hippo well fed & hoping he doesnt do the same. I guess you cant cure natural instincts

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back