Fixing Acrylic?

PSU4ME

BRS Member
Had a poor experience with a reef acrylic vendor where I received a tray with a broken a leg and one that leaks water. While he offered to fix it (sending it back) he went on to convince me it broke in shipping which is my fault and that he doesn’t hold the trays to be waterproof as I said it was to be used in my refugium. So here I am with a few questions:
1.) I’m in need of a new vendor to use, anyone have recommendations?
2.) I need to weld on a leg, what to use, where to buy?
3.) Can I fix the leaking corner with glue or do I need something like silicone?

Thanks
7C3F78B7-EF97-4670-A9A1-C72200961FC6.jpeg
05A7C8B2-C708-454C-938C-D2D1F5AAA685.jpeg

Don’t use glue you need weld-on to fuse the acrylic together I have some but your a ways away if you can’t find anyone closer let me know and I can help you out

Thanks. I saw the Weldon, use #3 or 4? From what I read, it may not work on the leak but it should reattach the leg

Weldon 3 set really fast. Weldon 4 is more reasonable.
weldon 16 is glue like viscosity that is good for filling voids. Ie. Leaks.

Had a poor experience with a reef acrylic vendor where I received a tray with a broken a leg and one that leaks water. While he offered to fix it (sending it back) he went on to convince me it broke in shipping which is my fault and that he doesn’t hold the trays to be waterproof as I said it was to be used in my refugium. So here I am with a few questions:
1.) I’m in need of a new vendor to use, anyone have recommendations?
2.) I need to weld on a leg, what to use, where to buy?
3.) Can I fix the leaking corner with glue or do I need something like silicone?

Thanks
View attachment 154824
View attachment 154825
How the heck can an acrylic vendor make a tray and not have the seams chemically bonded. Makes you wonder about what else they make.

The best part is when the guy responded that the tray doesn’t have to be waterproof because it’s being used in water. :D

The best part is when the guy responded that the tray doesn’t have to be waterproof because it’s being used in water. :D

The acrylic is waterproof...the seams on the other hand...

Thanks. I saw the Weldon, use #3 or 4? From what I read, it may not work on the leak but it should reattach the leg

I‘ve just messed around with a few projects with the stuff, but the cracked corner I would repair with Weldon 4 as it should penetrate the hairline cracks and do a decent enough job repairing them. For the seams, like was said earlier, get the Weldon 16 in a tube and run a bead along the seams. For this little box, the hack glue job should hold water.

Back