Flatworm exit good or bad

Budget_Reef

Non-member
I have a 30 gal and have had flatworms for atleast a month now, my yellow wrasse does his best but cant exterminate all, I have seen some really big ones and am wondering on your opinion with flatworm exit. I have what seems to be quite allot with me catching 5 just at night with my own eye I am scared there will be to much and could kill the corals and fish do you think it would be a good idea?

Run carbon an plan for a sizable WC about an hour after dosing it and you should be ok

Last edited:
I'm currently doing some aggressive treatment of my tank and have used FW Exit in the past as well. Never seen any adverse affects and also doing double the dosage. The toxins released when dying are what's dangerous to your livestock not the flatworms or fwexit itself. I'd recommend reading the instructions carefully and also checking this link - https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/how-to-eliminate-flatworms-red-planaria

note that I had a huge infestation (almost covering some exposed live rock completely), syphon out as many as possible before treatment helps and then syphon out as they begin dying off. Carbon and water change after treatment is also important.

Same as above here. Had a biocube with huge load. Wasn't too much of an issue until I wanted to transfer things out of that tank to main display/sale. Softies cleaned w/ FW dips fine, but SPS wouldn't survive.
Any turn off skimmer, pull any carbon out. Dose and watch. 30-45 minutes later you'll see them in the water column. Allegedly in in "swimming phase", I assume they're dead. Syphon them out, this will be a defacto 20-30% WC. I checked again in an hour for any straggler before returning the water I took out.

Repeated this a week later and I don't see any in that tank anymore. Coral didn't mind the flatworm exit and are actually thriving now that they're not being parasitized.

Flatworm exit does NOT work to completely eradicate them, even after 3 treatments. Just kills some, tickles others lol, but the remainder will always come back. It does a good job killing a lot of them at once, and you won’t see them for a while after. Best thing is to quarantine and dip things before they enter the main display.

Treatment doesn’t seem to hurt anything.

Thanks. Not sure what to do w/ my montiporas then. They won't survive the FW dip. Is there something else you can use?

Dipping in bayer solution will work if you can dip all your acros. IIt will kill the worms but not the eggs so you need to do it multiple times about two weeks apart. I think mine were gone after about four dips though I did a few more to be sure. So far they have not come back.

I'm using flatworm exit currently! It seems to be doing an awesome job, my yellow wrasse is having some snacks and none of my corals are unhappy yet. Granted it's only been 25 mins since dose but acros and lps are all happy, I have seen so many fall off into the water and seen my cardinal fish or wrasse try to eat them

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back