Fluconazole PSA

1spotpooalot

Non-member
I have been battling byropsis for months now likely due to poor husbandry over the summer (yes, I am guilty of it) and inadvertent introduction of the pest. I tried the kent elevated Mag, manual removal, heavy water changes and Rowaphos but always came back with a vengeance. But...now I think I beat it. system is:

265 plus a 30 gallon sump, SPS dominant tank with ~150 lbs rock which is about 15 months in. (total water V ~250 gallons minus rock and sand)
2 x 32 photon V2+
simplicity skimmer
newly added brs phos/carbon reactor
Apex monitoring and controls
Dose B Ionic 2 part
Tried the Kent mag....but no effect on Byropsis....switched to brightwel is IP
2 apex wav pumps and 2 gyre 230s (flow is ~20x to 50x night to day)
Temp 75
pH 8.1 to 8.3
kH 7-8
cal 410
mag 1600 (in process of lowering to start new brand)
phos .03
Nitrates...effectively 0

How I got it under control:
- 3 straight heavy weekly water changes using aggressive manual removal and sand stirring, coupled with newly added phos reactor (100 bucks at brs) to lower Phos from 0.1 to .03
- After the 3rd water change i added 5000 units of Fluconazole (Reef Flux) to my estimated 250 gallons of water (20/ml). still lots of "strands" left, but removed the bushes.
- immediately removed skimmer cup for 5 days, but left it running for aeration.
-immediately removed carbon (supposed to stop carbon for 3 weeks...but im only on day 6...effect TBD)
- continue rowaphos

after day 3 noticed a big difference...now on day 6 and cant believe how much is gone. I restarted the skimmer and still running Rowaphos figuring all those nutients gatta be hanging out in the water....I have a heavy SPS tank with some LPS and really no Ill effects...if anything the SPS seem happier. If you are thinking about it for bryopsis...and if you are considering break down to get rid of it....then I would endorse this method. I cant believe what this has done for my tank in less than a week. The total treatmnent is supposed to be for 3 weeks, so no carbon or water changes till then. Long term effect still TBD....but WOW

Sea hare munching on bryopsis

Attachments

• 20191106_210208.jpg
    20191106_210208.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 172
Flucanozal is definitely great for bryopsis! I tried all kinds of nutrient control methods and then finally doses fluco and bam, problem solved!

I used reefhd to fight bubble algae at 8x the recommended dose for a month. Nothing suffered, not even my clam. At that level 3 days later I had no visible other algae in the tank.

Bubble is definitely harder than bryopsis...but bryopsis will choke faster ime. I had a bubble break out for 2 years in another tank...wish I knew then...its kinda funny that bryopsis is the first to die with fluconazole treatment...hair and others take 2x as long

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back