fluval 5gal reef, back in the hobby again

This is very impressive given that size! Sorry to hear about your acans, always tough to lose a coral.

I bought the Fluval 5 last March, got it out of the box and said, nope! Too small. So I sent it back for the 13.5, which I’ve been enjoying. How do you even work in that tank?? Long foreceps? I have enough trouble retrieving stuff from the bigger one

yeah, it does take a collection of tweezers and tongs.

I can just barely get my fingers to the sand bed without bumping the primary rockwork, but that'll pretty near overflow the tank. In retrospect the 13.5 would have been a much better thing to do but making this thing work.

sorting out adding another/larger refugium as well as inline UV.. But I'm still in the stage of buying more of the incorrect hose barb/reducers of the internet. soon both the UV and my new second hand hosebarb emporium ebay store will be up and running.

Current shot, added the yellow open brain this weekend, favia and mini blastos couple weeks ago.
Still just unable to do SPS, if I cant get this misc greenish acro to come around..

was able to unload the GSP that was claiming a lot of real-estate as well as some zoas and mushrooms that have propagated well and didn't require any actual fragging.. traded for the hi-liter yellow Trachy.

Attachments

• 07062021reef.jpg
    07062021reef.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 256
FB reminded me this is technically the my reef's birthday, added fish and first corals a year ago.

added some new zoas this weekend, finally got some Rastsas!
been on the hunt for a yellow clown goby, ready for fish #2!

Attachments

• 1042021b.jpg
    1042021b.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 1042021c.jpg
    1042021c.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 1042021d.jpg
    1042021d.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 220
Got a yellow goby, 2x as many fish now.
Found the one fish small enough for a six-line wrasse to intimidate.

Attachments

• 1129.jpg
    1129.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 173
finally found a small enough protein skimmer.. and the nerve to attempt disturbing the rockwork enough to make room for it.

reef-glass mini skimmer.
pretty dead simple and tiny, hopefully it starts collecting soon enough.

Attachments

• skimmer1.jpg
    skimmer1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 109
  • skimmer2.jpg
    skimmer2.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 109
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back