Food additives?

Slombardi

BRS Member
I was wondering what people add, if anything, to their fish food to help maintain overall health? I mix up my feedings with various frozen, flake and pellet foods. I have read that using vitachem/selcon/vitality/garlic are beneficial for extended health and prevention of disease in reef tanks.

What does everyone use? Do you just soak the food a couple minutes before feeding?

I alternate between Selcon and Aquaforest Fish V. A drop on the frozen food for a minute before I drop in the tank is what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use liquids for vitamins I’d add them to freeze-dried food instead of frozen. The frozen is full of liquid and won’t absorb much if any other liquid but the freeze dried will suck up all the liquid. Just my 0.03 :cool:

Interesting, a lot of what I was reading said it is commonly mixed with frozen food. Is it worth buying this stuff? Anyone know of actual benefits?

Interesting, a lot of what I was reading said it is commonly mixed with frozen food. Is it worth buying this stuff? Anyone know of actual benefits?
Chris is right, freeze dried food is great for additives, it just sucks them up.

As for benefits, you'd have to run controlled studies with multiple identical tanks some with and some without to be sure. People's anecdotal experience is just that. Anecdotal. You can't be sure what you're seeing is because of the additive or something else. Even most BRS investigates "studies" are a joke. Pitting a single tank with a particular treatment against a single control tank with no treatment tells you next to nothing, since what you're observing may be due to random chance. You need many of each to draw statistically singnificant conclusions.

Personally I use selcon because it's so cheap and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. If it helps great. If I'm wasting my money, $13 every now and then is not going to make a difference.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back