Frag tank lighting

Reefman603

Non-member
I’m going to be setting up a 20 gallon long frag tank, looking for recommendations toward budget friendly LED lighting ? Was previously using a 4 bulb T5 fixture

Two then. At $129.00 each that is the best bang for your buck imo
Thanks! I’ve been looking into the AI prime HD as well
I like how the AI prime has more of an assortment of color spectrums to play with and adjust rather than just blue and white but the Kessel seems like a great light as well especially for the price !

AI prime is 4 times more powerful than Kessil A80.

Kessil A80 is $130, 15w, no controller. With a WIRED controller, the package price jumps to $230. I don’t think two of them will do well for SPS on a 20 gallon long and they will never be my choice to light this 20 gallon long tank.

AI Prime 16HD is $210, 60w, with one of the most advanced full featured WIRELESS controller built in. Factored in the cost of mounting arm, and you need two AI Primes, you are looking at $480 to cover your tank.

For a 30 inch 20 gallon long tank, the most bang of the $ premium LED is a 24 Reefbreeders Photon V2+, it is at the same power of two AI prime, comes with mounting hardware, at $400.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, I carry Reefbreeders, AI, Kessil, Radion.

Last edited:
Lighting is critical to coral growth and color.
I have seen countless people went for cheaper alternatives and ended up upgrading quickly.

I did not know they wanted an sps specific tank when I suggested kessil as the best affordable light for a nano tank. I have grown acropora with kessil of every size, as I would not speak on a product I haven’t used. I have used AI since I had bought brand new hydra 52s and they can be just as much of a headache as any other led when dealing with programming if you are not technologically inclined

Last edited:
I like the Ocean Revive artic t-247 lights. I have used them for several years and they grow and color all corals. They only have a 2 channel timer so if you are looking for more controllability then this will not fit the bill. You would only need one and I believe you can get them for just under $200 shipped. The reefbreeders would definitely be the next best option as Dong stated if you don’t mind spending more.

As far as AI programing, the new Hydra32HD is using Bluetooth in additional to Wifi.
The bluetooth connection solved a lot of issue from the previous generations. It is completely transparent in connecting to the light with your phone. I agree with EC that the Hydra 52/26 can be a pain to connect to your phone as well as connection between master and slave lights.
The new generation of Hydra are totally different. Just turn on Bluetooth on your phone and launch the AI app, then everything are ready in the app for you to program.

If it was me I would go with the reefbreeders 24” v2+. I have the first version on this light and it’s a beast on a 24”x24”x24” cube with mainly sps in the tank.

AI prime is 4 times more powerful than Kessil A80.

Kessil A80 is $130, 15w, no controller. With a WIRED controller, the package price jumps to $230. I don’t think two of them will do well for SPS on a 20 gallon long and they will never be my choice to light this 20 gallon long tank.

AI Prime 16HD is $210, 60w, with one of the most advanced full featured WIRELESS controller built in. Factored in the cost of mounting arm, and you need two AI Primes, you are looking at $480 to cover your tank.

For a 30 inch 20 gallon long tank, the most bang of the $ premium LED is a 24 Reefbreeders Photon V2+, it is at the same power of two AI prime, comes with mounting hardware, at $400.
Thanks! I will look into the Reefbreeders photon V2

AI LED Hydra lights have a simple spectrum slider that can be used to automatically configure all the different channels versus manually configuring each individual color channel or using custom, downloaded programs. There is a small bullseye button on the top right of the AI app screen that switches from manual color channels to the spectrum slider.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back