Frag Tank Setups

madducks42

Resident Nihilist
BRS Member
So our 90 gallon reefer is a fairly constant source of joy/frustration and has done an excellent job on making my wallet lighter. I think the next logical step is to add more frustration/joy into my life albeit on a slightly smaller scale. I'm sure the impact on my wallet will be the same. I want a frag tank.

This probably won't happen until next year but I'd like to start planning it out now so I have at least a general idea of how much it will cost, then I'll double that amount to be realistic : )

My initial thoughts are I want something fairly small, probably in the 24x24x6 range. We use LED's on our display tank so I'm leaning towards LED's for this as well to keep lighting consistent between the tanks. I'd love to see pictures of your frag tanks and what you're using. If you can include pros/cons of your setup that'd be useful too. For example, is there anything you'd wish you'd done differently or if you had more money would you change something about your setup?

I have a 20 long plumbed into the same system. That way there's no worry about stress due to differing water conditions. I never understood how those with frag as a different system survive...
20171108_190901.jpg

The return pump splits 1 side goes to display or a drain for water change purposes the other goes through a manifold then to the frag tank. Nothing fancy just a simply durso back to the sump.
20151101_180122_zpsyo5pqwgu.jpg

There are 2 of my old sol blues over the tank and a maxijet for flow. Since it runs off the main system there was no other equipment needed nor does it require maintenance other than what I do for the entire system.

I always run a separate system from my main one to keep back ups. I highly discourage people from running off of one system. Looking at my system now, I would move overflow in the center for an additional return on the corner. One thing I've learned is that pumps will seize up so having an additional return would act as a safety if the other fails.

Thanks for the input all! I think I will likely get a frag tank from these guys - https://advancedacrylics.com/collections/frag-tanks-1. They seem to have a variety of styles/sizes and I would like to get something acrylic instead of glass. This is going to be setup in the basement probably on the counter over our washer/dryer which is conveniently right next to our saltwater mixing station, RODI water, and basically all the reefing things. So in theory I should be able to tap into the existing infrastructure.

I'm not really clear on what you guys mean by "running off of one system" and the pros/cons of doing such. The water from the display tank upstairs will never enter the frag tank and vice versa but they would both be getting their water from the same source. Is this is a bad thing?

Do these all in one systems - https://advancedacrylics.com/collec...eparate-frag-racks-optional-3-sizes-available - work well? Is it practical/functional to not have a sump tank? This would be ideal because it would take up less space but this is an area where my knowledge is pretty lacking since my SO generally handles all the plumbing for our display tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back