A chalice and rock anemone

svAyinw.jpg

Montipora Spongodes

TmRzFfM.jpg

Scroll Coral or Pagoda Cup

jKvwEYY.jpg

Ricordea

qxk5WKL.jpg

A coral I've had for a while and finally put in a nice spot. Sold as "frog skin" acropora. The growth pattern has changed dramatically in the new tank. Much more pokey. Originally it had very smooth skin. Picked this one up from Dong.

Few more from the dump:

jjytrjt.jpg

garlCws.jpg

Chalice still recovering from shipping shock (white spots)

d2B9PTq.jpg

Slowest growing coral of all time

lYeKBze.jpg

Fastest growing coral

DOBnbuT.jpg

4.5 month update

XaonBIl.jpg

Algae is growing a bit more than the coral - need to replace my RODI filters. With 400ppm tapwater they do not last very long.

End of January Updates:

Picked up a beautiful mated pair of DaVinci clowns. I'm really excited by these fish and their patterns are incredible. They've been eating well if a bit picky (for clowns) and are proving to be very healthy. They are tiny.

Qt8cxcV.jpg

male

gsleJVv.jpg

female (about 2x the size)

8EiREoV.jpg

Montipora Spongodes (or confuse) - fastest growing SPS in the tank. Look at those growth tips!

3j0Dmy9.jpg

Forest fire digitata - healthy, though not exhibiting the strong green base. Kept in a high light area. Might show better green in lower light.

BrsK3Fl.jpg

Acropora Tortuosa (Tort) - Favorite SPS in the tank. I'm obsessed with its chunky dense growth pattern. Seems super healthy and grows relatively slowly.

Beautiful tank!!!! I've been in the hobby for years but still not sold on the bare bottom, can't get use to the glass look. Was your other tank BB I can't recall?

Jim

Hi Jim, I've had two tanks with sand and 3 tanks that were bare bottom (if you count my kitchen nano). I love the look of sand, but I like the low maintenance of a sandless tank more. This aquarium also has very high water flow, and the bare bottom keeps a nice gyre movement going without sandstorms.

I just read through this thread (often with build threads I sort of skip around to the pictures...ask nick "this is me"). This light fixture you've made is fantastic. The way all the cords are hidden, the heat sinks becoming part of the art of the design simply amazing (the rest of the tank is fantastic) but I just love this fixture. I'm moving away from led personally but I think this is one of the few well made ones. With 6 fixtures and the t5 I think you have enough light (I don't believe people are usually putting enough led on their tank with the puck style lights).

Very well made kudos!

Thanks! It's worked out very well so far. With nearly 6 months of R&D + Build time it is very rewarding to see it working out over the tank. With this light I have not seen the typical bleaching that I have with other LEDs; I attribute this to the diffused light (compared to the lensed LEDs in other common setups). At ~300 watts total for the unit, it is a lot of light and compensates for the diffuser losses.

Bummer alert - My return pump (eheim 1250) just failed. Completely my fault. I was acclimating some new anthias and the return chamber ran low. Seems that the pump overheated and the magnets seized. That's too bad because this pump has been with me for 5 years and had been used for 4+ years by the previous owner. 9+ years isn't bad, and I congratulate Eheim on making such awesome and durable pumps.

Right now I am running a very low power return from the sump to the main tank. I might only be getting 25-30gph. This is no good of course, and I have a Jebao DCP 5000 on the way. I'm excited to try out this DC pump and also to get some more water flowing through my tank (~700-1400gph is offered, which is significantly more than the 350 from the eheim. I'm expecting to run this pump on one of the lowest settings.

I use a 12000 return. Very quiet and strong. I'm on my 2nd the first one failed after a couple years. actually it still worked but you needed to give the impeller a push to get it going. But I've had mag Drive pumps do the same thing so I don't really fault jabeo.

Lookin awesome!!! Keep an eye on those Venus fly trap zoa, mine have taken over a bunch or real estate

Lookin awesome!!! Keep an eye on those Venus fly trap zoa, mine have taken over a bunch or real estate

Ugh, I know. They spread like the plague. I've been using a syringe of hot vinegar to nuke them when I can, but it doesn't seem strong enough. Any recommendations on how to kill select polyps off in tank? I have tried kalk / vinegar / lemon juice in a syringe. All seem equal-ish.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back