Fresh Build: The Clean White Stage

Rearranged again - moved some of the larger paly colonies to the bottom right, opened up some space on the bottom left. Created two small cove areas on the bottom left and right.

tqlB4TT.jpg

That is the best lawnmower blenny picture I have ever seen!

All your corals and that nem look so happy with you.

Very nice setup!
I just went to beginning and noticed this is a CADlights. I really like my tank from them. The stand is okay too.
In fact, I am currently in the breakdown phase of my Cadlight tank which is going from planted setup to reef (very slowly).

Thanks Capslock - My precious algae is also very happy. Everyone's happy.

Matt - I agree, cadlights is great for the price. I looked for the perfect tank for quite a while and this was way cheaper than custom. The only competition is red sea, which makes a similar format. Their tank and stand is undeniably of higher quality, and their prices match. Cadlights has great glass, hardwood stands, and imo a great overflow design.

Pgf8IOK.jpg

The wildlands

TwDVHtY.jpg

Isle of skye

PpgwBA2.jpg

The ragged spire

ouAuvIv.jpg

A fresh perspective

I love your tank man.... Red Sea is the way to go.. I'm happy with my XL525 aside from its contemporary style and quality.. I love how quiet the system is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time, no update.

About 4-6 months ago I had a tank crash... really frustrating. I ran out of Kalk unexpectedly and switched to an auto-dosed CA/ALK 2 part until I could re-up. I'm not sure if the 2 part was bad, or if the sudden switch was just too much for the coral but my alk dropped so fast that almost all of my SPS crashed. I had a vacation lined up so I did a 100% water change, switched back to Kalk and hoped for the best. The best did not come. Instead I got a massive algae infestation from the dying coral (GHA + Cyanobacteria). This was a kick to the stomach and I didn't do much with the tank (other than feed the fish) for a month or two.

Trying to get it back on its feet now. I dosed fluconazole 6 weeks ago which wiped out all of the GHA (sh** really works!). Two weeks ago I added a DIY waterfall algae scrubber:
Jxrvs0k.jpg

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Sorry to hear that Rob.
Crash happens and all you can do is learn from it and rebuild a better one next time. I'm sure the tank will be up on its feet soon. Vacation is definitely tough with this hobby.

Sorry to hear about your crash bud. I always end up taking photos to document the tank right before a long vacation in anticipation something happens. :(

About 4-6 months ago I had a tank crash... really frustrating. I ran out of Kalk unexpectedly and switched to an auto-dosed CA/ALK 2 part until I could re-up. I'm not sure if the 2 part was bad, or if the sudden switch was just too much for the coral but my alk dropped so fast that almost all of my SPS crashed. I had a vacation lined up so I did a 100% water change, switched back to Kalk and hoped for the best. The best did not come. Instead I got a massive algae infestation from the dying coral

Oh man!

I was just reading this whole thread like "wow this setup is sweet" and then I read this. Bummer!

I hope you pull it back together that is a sweet looking tank!

Oh man!

I was just reading this whole thread like "wow this setup is sweet" and then I read this. Bummer!

I hope you pull it back together that is a sweet looking tank!

It's the trouble with mixed reefs. This thing is a bit of a nightmare to balance. So for now I'm moving back to LPS/Softies primarily with just a few SPS in the mix (whatever survived - which I presume is some hardy SPS). All's good tho...

6f1.png

My tank has been neglected a bit - life happens. But I wanted to report on the significant success I've had with a simple diy turf scrubber. It has kept my tank algae free, and with no water changes or filtration of any other kind has my nitrates at .25 and phosphates at nearly unreadable numbers. I feel that this has been a more sustainable filtration method than carbon dosing as the denitrifying bacteria have such a strong affinity for nitrate that it would remain bottomed out while phosphates would remain readable - necessitating a secondary method of phosphates removal and the need to run a skimmer.

I've stopped running my skimmer and now only use the ats for filtration. It is fed by my return pump and the LEDs consume less than 20w.

The shots below show about 1.5 months of production. 320g wet.

wIhoNrK.jpg

WuxYSuj.jpg

LrHLtV4.jpg

gu6zSiv.jpg

Beautiful images and amazing tank. Could you possibly give the link you followed for the DIY turf scrubber. so many variations but looks like yours is working well

Back