Frustrated with LFS prices and quality

Reefdweller

Non-member
I had some time this afternoon, so I thought I'd go to a LFS to see if I could find a invert, fish or coral to buy. My 120 tank has lots of room and my 75g reef has room for some select SPS. I will not mention the name of the LFS, but suffice it to say that they had a large selection of corals and fish, and a few inverts. I looked around hoping to find something special that I likes and would be willing to pay the adsorbadant prices they charge. After 1 hour, I not only couldn't find anything that I liked, but was repulsed by the quality of the livestock and the amounts being charged for everything. For instance they were charging $45 for Xenia. There was a tank with >30 Tank raised Bengal Cardinals. It was pretty clear that this was a recent brood and probably cost them $1/fish yet they were charging $30/fish.

I hate to gripe about a LFS, but unless these guys improve their quality and offer acceptable prices, I don't see buying anything from them, in the future. I want to support local commerce, but do not feel like supporting poor quality and rediculous prices. Is there any LFS that offers both qualify and value? I certainly hope so!

Thanks for letting me vent!

agree

Not being near alot of people that belong to boston reefers mean tuff to get frags when I had coral in my tank. Wein RI are lucky we have seacreatures in north providence who doe snot gfauge you on prices. John wants return customers that come often not a store that tries to make a million off every item

TR fish cost more then you think but that does still sound a little high

I also had to take a trip for work today that landed me in the area of a LFS that would be to far away to make it to. This would be the 3rd trip to this store. The first time i was new to the game and left with some fish food. The second trip there was a meeting a few miles away, did not buy anything (way way too much money). This trip i was hoping to buy something but could not bring myself to paying the prices. LFS's are missing the point! If i can pick something up local and help out a small guy i will! If i can go online and still get it cheeper with the shiping and handling sorry little guy! LFS's i understand you have to pay rent and bills and payroll, but you have to see where we are coming from! I am very happy with my LFS. When i drive 1+hour and cant even buy some dry goods, come on now. I will end this now cause i have nothing nice to say!

I never see them mentioned on the board, but PJ's pet centre on rt 1 in Saugus has reasonable prices on most fish. They usually have an interesting assortment of motile inverts too...although the coral assortment isnt great.

I've found the livestock to be healthy, no visible pests in any tanks, and they seem to be well stocked more often than the average LFS:rolleyes: Also, they have a price/inventory binder where you can find the date of arrivial.

can't tell you how many times I have been to local stores to walk out with nothing.unless you know somone who will split the cost and the coral good luck there so pricey now.buying off the board is the way to go most of the corals have been in peoples tanks so its less of a risk of not acclamating.in short I feel your pain:(

:rolleyes: Wasn't that poll posted as a "sticky"? See what happens when it goes away? :rolleyes:

You've gotta know the DIFFERENT lfs's and go to the right ones. There is one place that's close to me where I go to get things I need in a hurry and am willing to pay rediculous prices for. There are several that I'll make a road trip for.

Today I drove down to CRA, wanted a dry good item that they had in stock for the same price I could get it online. I figured the gas $ would be same or less than shipping so I took the ride and enjoyed hanging around the store for a few.

There are several stores that are worth the hour each way in the car, there are others that arent worth it at all.

Don't be mad at all the LFS's because of your exp at that one today.

I went to the same exact lfs (i saw the bangaii cardinals and saw the price thats how i know) while I was there i bought a clean up crew I asked for 10 hermits 5 astrea and 10 nassaraira I got 12 hermits (tiny) 6 nassarasia and 3 astrea total: $50.32 unbelievable I didnt check the price when i was in there at the time so I was very surprised
Duds

I went to the same exact lfs (i saw the bangaii cardinals and saw the price thats how i know) while I was there i bought a clean up crew I asked for 10 hermits 5 astrea and 10 nassaraira I got 12 hermits (tiny) 6 nassarasia and 3 astrea total: $50.32 unbelievable I didnt check the price when i was in there at the time so I was very surprised
Duds

i just got almost the same clean up crew at my LFS a few weeks ago fro $28

i just got almost the same clean up crew at my LFS a few weeks ago fro $28
my other lfs near me has the best deals ever, but they are only open 4 days a week, so I cant get there as often as I hope to
Duds

I don't know why people feel the need to complain. I know the LFS in the area. I know generally who has what prices on which kinds of things and I know generally how much things cost online too. I simply choose whichever option is best suited for the type of thing I am buying and when I need it. What's the problem with that? Would people prefer LESS options? We all know the reasons an LFS cannot match an online store, so what is there left to discuss?

I don't know why people feel the need to complain. I know the LFS in the area. I know generally who has what prices on which kinds of things and I know generally how much things cost online too. I simply choose whichever option is best suited for the type of thing I am buying and when I need it. What's the problem with that? Would people prefer LESS options? We all know the reasons an LFS cannot match an online store, so what is there left to discuss?

I need to hire you as my Life Coach and everything will be swell!!

i was at the lfs store in question today (gotta love those little baby banghaiis) and i was not impressed by their corals at all. some of them looked like they were dying, and the prices for the size of the frags was out of control. they had tons of fish, but they were priced higher then i had hoped. i went in for some LR and maybe a fish or coral, but left with only LR because it was priced so high. but, it was the best looking LR i've seen on my hunt so far- so i guess that evens it out... it's just a shame because there's not that many stores around, i've had much better luck getting stuff from fellow BRS members.

I'd rather express my opinion than just let it go. The shop owners out there need to know that we're not going to support gouging and if they want our business they need to offer quality livestock at resonable prices (within 25% of online prices). If they can't do this and make a profit they need to come up with a better business model. Otherwise they will either need to rely on nieve customers or go out of business.

Just for a contrast, I purchased a psychedelic rhodactis during the recent group buy (Ultimate Frags). For $19 UF sent 2 rhodactis and included 2 free mushrooms. How come this vendor can make a profit and the LFS can't. The great thing about a free market is that the market determines where the business goes. On a personal level, I feel for the LFS, but unless they are fair, they will be no more.

There are LFS that I frequent and I'm happy to pay extra for the product which includes excellent service. This is how the LFS can compete- fair prices and better service. Unfortunately these LFS are few and far.

me and my wife did the rounds in ct saturday went to 4 stores, and all priced diferent, but all had diferent selections also. but we bought something from 3 of them. but thats half the fun of this hobby, going around checking out stores. or atleast it is for us. i can understand when you need something quick and the local store is outragously priced. but this is not a cheap hobby. im not supporting the store you are speaking of. im sure i know which one it is an i just skip them completely. but we also have some great sponsors with good pricing.

Any LFS is entitled to charge what they want for any given item. The same way it is your perogitive to walk in and either buy the item if you are happy with the quality and price or leave if you are not. My guess is that the store is charging certain prices b/c they feel that it is necessary for them to do so to stay in business. They are not twisting anyones arm to buy from them. All they are saying is that they have "X" available at "y" price and if you want it I will be more than happy to sell it to you.

When you walk into a LFS and don't find something that you like or that you find is inferior quality just walk out. You know what you are comfortable with and you make the call. My guess is that what one finds to be overpriced or of inferior quality another person will find it to their liking and won't mind paying for it.

I know that many people feel very strongly about this subject, but at the end of the day when we threaten that we won't go back to a store it really doesn't matter. Most of these stores do a small amount of their overall sales to BRS members and it probably won't make or break them.

Back