Fungia plate not puffing up, starting to show skeleton on two spots of a ridge.

Mine still won't eat and it healed it's flesh in one spot but is losing it in another now. Oiii lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have had a few fungia lose tissue such as that, for me it was the hermit crabs tearing the flesh when they were stealing the food so you might want to look in to putting something over it when you are feeding. Another issue i have had was pockets of air (or gas of somesort) getting trapped underneath it, so maybe lift it up and check to see if the flesh on the bottom of it is ok as well?

It still looked crummy today so I think i'm gonna end up moving it up onto a flat rock I currently have isolated in a corner of the tank that is shaped like a mushroom cloud but flat on top. No snails or crabs ever bother to climb up there and there zero sand or coral near it. Worth a try I suppose. I mean they grow on rocks in the wild anyways, right?

It still looked crummy today so I think i'm gonna end up moving it up onto a flat rock I currently have isolated in a corner of the tank that is shaped like a mushroom cloud but flat on top. No snails or crabs ever bother to climb up there and there zero sand or coral near it. Worth a try I suppose. I mean they grow on rocks in the wild anyways, right?

Worth a try

Fingers still crossed for it to start shooting out dozens of babies for me to share with BRS. =] I honestly don't think it's gonna bounce back to full health ever at this point so i'm trying to find the bright side of it all.

if that thing starts popping babies, I would like to say first in line.

There is another member here whose fungia started to die. It popped a whole bunch of babies and then the mother colony came back to full health.

The guy with the neon orange plate right? I got one off a guy who had that same situation happen and he's a member on here.

where is it in your tank in regards to lighting? have you tried pushing it into an area with less light?

Not sure if this applies to you or not, but I have a fungia that was not opening for months on my sand. Well a couple weeks ago, I put in an entire new sandbed and guess what? The thing almost instantly opened like crazy. In fact, all of my corals looked a lot better.

I didn't have any detectable nitrates or anything else either. Maybe older sand beds do something we can't test for?

Now that i've moved it up onto a rock it's in lower lighting, though technically closer to the surface of the water, it's in a less bright end of the tank.
It has been in bright light thriving since back in February when the shop I help out at first got it in so IDT light is the issue.
And yeah Twiddledogs orange plates are absolutely spectacular. Never seen a healthier or brighter strain of orange plate in my life.

Back