Fungia plate not puffing up, starting to show skeleton on two spots of a ridge.

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I have a purple short tentacle Fungia plate coral that has for the past month not wanted to open and extend it's tentacles. Well last night it also started showing it's bare skeleton in two spots near it's mouth in the ridges. Anything I can try and do to save it? I paid $70 for it and it's one of my favorite corals I own so I'd be really bummed if I lost it. If it died, does this type of plate coral eventually sprout babies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371314419118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371314419118.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,365
Looks pretty healthy to me, I thought that they were really hearty.
Heck ive seen people breaking off slices like a pizza to sell them and they've been fine.
With all that being said, I have never had one.
Have you done anything different lately that it may be not happy with?

Most likely it will heal. Just in case it die, this type of plate will grow new babies out of the dead mother

That picture doesn't show the skeleton, but I can take one.
Thing is this may look healthy to those who haven't seen it when it's happy,
but for the 3 months prior, it looked like this everyday:
View attachment 87455

See the difference? And it looks worse today now that the skeleton is exposed.
Hope it heals!

Last edited:
This is a picture of it today with skeleton exposed. Had to use flash to focus it well so that colors are off, but you can see the tissue damage.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371320995829.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371320995829.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,264
That's a very nice fungia! It should come back but yes In case it dies do not remove it from the tank and babies should regrow from the skeleton

Almost kinda want babies, lol. But no I really do hope it heals. But yeah having a ton of babies of this thing wouldn't be a bad thing... :rolleyes:

I used to feed it a few times a week and then it randomly refused food. Fed it just as often as my long tentacle neon orange plate which is happy as ever.

Maybe mine didn't eat enough? Everything I fed it, hermits and shrimp would try to steal the food.

It's my feeding schedule for my tank. That's when I feed it.

SORRY !!! fish Waste.........I confused you with the guy that started the thread. I was scratching my head thinking "if he has 2 why he was feeding one every two days and the other no".........I have to sleep more :culpability:

Last edited:
SORRY !!! fish Waste.........I confused you with the guy that started the thread. I was scratching my head thinking "if he has 2 why he was feeding one every two days and the other no".........I have to sleep more :culpability:

Its okay nemodan, everyone makes mistakes.

I had a nice large Fungia die from getting half buried under some sand for a while.
Seemed like the tissue began to die even after cleaning it off.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back