FW question about The difficulties and options of growing a lawn on the substrate?

SMI

Non-member
I’ve been doing tons of reading about seeds on eBay and cultured tissue implants or semi mature grass mats and even fake mats I just wanted to grow something that would resemble a lawn in the bottom of my tank but it seems to be very expensive and very difficult and very messy if not done correctly. Number one is it worth it because my tank is quite crowded and any other help would be greatly appreciated.
DFCAF720-853F-4D17-9FD6-FA2A709A1492.jpeg
2C02B483-50F3-4F72-9509-83E9F14356FC.jpeg

FYI: There was a reefer on BR with the nicest freshwater tank I’ve ever seen I can’t remember his username. Super bright guy, i believe he was either a doctor or in the scientific field maybe a biologist. Underneath his main tank was pristine it was so elaborate Auto fill CO2 PVC timers Electrical I would imagine wave maker controls so on your name it . It was just a nice nice fresh water set up it I believe he had beautiful lush green dwarf hair grass.

Yes, I think his name is Matt if I remember correctly. He let me borrow a pH meter once. He is occasionally active on this board still. I think his screen name is Matt W

You can start by listing your equipment and maintenance plan.

I’m not sure if you remember but I pretty much laid out exactly what you needed to do step by step. I don’t think you followed any of those steps lol.

Is a carpet worth it? Only you can answer that but that setup doesn’t look like it’d be able to sustain one. A nice lawn grows pretty easily if you do what you’re suppose to.

Here’s a picture of mine back when I had it.

Attachments

• 35DAA045-24D2-485F-99E6-BE186899A45A.jpeg
    35DAA045-24D2-485F-99E6-BE186899A45A.jpeg
    547.4 KB · Views: 170
I tried planted tank with dwarf baby tears as ground cover. Looks great but it's a PITA to maintain(trim). It's more work than a reef so I shut it down.
Here was mine. In the office.
original.jpg

If I go away for 2 weeks, it looks something like this.
original.jpg

origina.jpg

You can start by listing your equipment and maintenance plan.

I’m not sure if you remember but I pretty much laid out exactly what you needed to do step by step. I don’t think you followed any of those steps lol.

Is a carpet worth it? Only you can answer that but that setup doesn’t look like it’d be able to sustain one. A nice lawn grows pretty easily if you do what you’re suppose to.

Here’s a picture of mine back when I had it.
Thank you sir

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back