Gen 5 Radions?!?

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hear whispers these are going to be announced next week. They are getting away from the puck format and more of a full panel of leds. Interesting!

anyone else got info on these?

There was a link on R2R with all the details, I saw it and then it was quickly taken down so I’m not going to post it here but yeah, pucks are gone, 35% more par and wider coverage. Don’t expect it to be cheaper!

I like the par going up for sure. I’m running mine at a hondo percent
What height you got them off the waterline? How deep is your tank?

I got a par meter check on mine last week. I had them 22 inches off the water in a 12” deepfrag tank. 2 15s and 1 30 pro. Had them running at 85%. I was surprised to see my grow out tiles were only getting 175 par!

Yeah! They finally get it.
Now gone is the tried and not so true puck format.
Two bad their sister company, AI, is stuck in the past and came up with even smaller pucks.

I am going to get one to test out when they start to ship.
I can see they addressed several key issues with G5:
1. The pucks gone, enough said
2. The fan, this is very important, as the G4 fan, inherited from G1, pull salty air and moisture In the fixture.
3. Direct wireless smartphone app control without the need to buy the extra Reeflink. The new wireless control is via Bluetooth, it really cut down the complexity of wifi/Cloud server, or worse, ethernet cable to your router.
Plus the instant connection, really make it user friendly.

I don’t expect the price will be much different than G4, so for people who just bought G4, please feel free to cry out loud and smash your head on the tank wall (I hope you have an acrylic tank).

I see some decently priced g4s in my future! I would imagine the major upgrade is the spread. I prefer have T5s as well as LED so these arent as appealing as they would be if I ran just LED. But I'm sure they will be amazing. And the connectivity is something I desire.

Here’s my old tank just set up in early 2015 running Radion gen 5 :p

4F5FF8DE-592F-4BC4-B0EF-16D85A15D859.png

I feel like they look a bit like the old vertex illumina. Funny how these trends seem to bounce back and forth
Check out Philips Coral Care LED. But they are not available in US. yet.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back