Getting back into it!

Brad508

Non-member
Good evening group, just introducing myself and a touch about my setup and future ideas. A few years ago I had a small tank, some live rock, couple fish, few hermits. Not alot of effort went into it, but it worked great. Then gave it to my friend as I got to busy. Fast forward a few years, as I was getting bored with the hydroponic industry after 10 years, I picked up some old reef books i had but never read. I started getting into the information of fragging as it seems similar to cloning plants, but with different parameters. As of a month ago someone on Facebook was getting rid of there 29gallon nano tank, pumps, live rock and sand, had lights built into the whole 9 minus power heads, for free. So I was lucky to scoop it up, set it up immediately, using reverse osmosis water, reef crystal salt. It's been cycling for just shy of a month and as of yesterday grab some hermits and snails to just get in there. pH is 8.1 temp is 78-80 salinity 1.025. I'm just letting t cycle for another month or so until I try puting some frags in there and get the game rolling.. eventually I have a nice tank that I'd like to setup for seahorses, I'm no where near ready or knowledgeable for that project so it's a wish list and I have an old unused koi pond that I'd like to setuo eventually and grow out corals and frag em. I'm not in a rush for any of this. Just throwing it out there. Any tips on cycling or choices in first time coral etc... Would love to hear it... Thanks for reading.. hopefully in time I can contribute more to the group. And yes next pay check I'll become a paid member. Thanks again
Brad

I did take the fake rock out.
IMG_20181027_105606.jpg

welcome to the club
Looks like you have the basics covered :)when the questions start popping up, don’t be afraid to ask on here.

Welcome back to the community and welcome to Boston Reefers! Cycling sounds like you did it well enough if the hermits and snails live. Typically people add fish for a little starting with most docile to aggressive. (So clowns last is my recommendation).

After a month or so the microbacteria will stabilize and you will go through all the ugly phases of algae. It’s ok just wait most of them out.

Coral like more stable parameters. Easy beginner corals

Mushrooms
Leather corals
Palythoas
Zoanthids

Look at all the types and plan for what you want. You may need a stronger light if you want sps (sticks) or lps (hammers, torches, acans, etc.)

Palys can spread fast and take over so isolate them.

Anemones are fun as well in a smaller cube tank.

Ask away with any questions you have.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back to the community and welcome to Boston Reefers! Cycling sounds like you did it well enough if the hermits and snails live. Typically people add fish for a little starting with most docile to aggressive. (So clowns last is my recommendation).

After a month or so the microbacteria will stabilize and you will go through all the ugly phases of algae. It’s ok just wait most of them out.

Coral like more stable parameters. Easy beginner corals

Mushrooms
Leather corals
Palythoas
Zoanthids

Look at all the types and plan for what you want. You may need a stronger light if you want sps (sticks) or lps (hammers, torches, acans, etc.)

Palys can spread fast and take over so isolate them.

Anemones are fun as well in a smaller cube tank.

Ask away with any questions you have.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you I appreciate the generosity

I have not given to me check thought as to what coral I want to start with. As of now I'm getting that brown algae and the coralline algae is poppen up more and more. I want to make this tank a show piece and don't want to adjust much such as the lighting filter etc. Want to keep it beautiful and "simple". But when I get the koi pond tank gong I will have room for the bigger lights, as I have tons of t5 fixtures and hps and metal halide lighting from my garden I plan to incorporate, and do stadium shelving for the different intensity of lighting certain species need.

Welcome! The critical thinking applied to indoor gardening (ferts, lighting impact, flow) is highly transferable to reef & planted aquatics. I am often trying to get my friend to start a reef tank or planted tank at his indoor garden as he already has most of the needed equipment around.

Welcome! The critical thinking applied to indoor gardening (ferts, lighting impact, flow) is highly transferable to reef & planted aquatics. I am often trying to get my friend to start a reef tank or planted tank at his indoor garden as he already has most of the needed equipment around.
Very much so, that's why I want to give reefing an honest shot, with all the spare equipment I know the knowledge is transferable.. just need to obtain the knowledge haha

Very much so, that's why I want to give reefing an honest shot, with all the spare equipment I know the knowledge is transferable.. just need to obtain the knowledge haha

There are lots of good resources online now (compared to 2008-2010). I would recommend Bulk Reef Supply's youtube channel. There are numerous setup guides and how to's. There are many more good ones as well.

Hopefully your garden offsets the cost of the reef habit.

There are lots of good resources online now (compared to 2008-2010). I would recommend Bulk Reef Supply's youtube channel. There are numerous setup guides and how to's. There are many more good ones as well.

Hopefully your garden offsets the cost of the reef habit.
No more garden, taking an extended break. I'm back to doing electrical work, I'll just go slow and steady, it will all build up in time

I enjoy watching this series as well. They are less technical, but good inspiration. In fact, in his new series, he is building out a studio and is setting up many tanks. In particular, he shows a little into the three frag pools.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back