GFI Tripping periodically

reefstarter

Non-member
I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now I can't figure what it is . Nothing is getting wet , the skimmer I just replaced . I replaced the heater . I run a pair of MP40's , so no power in the water there . My ATO ( Tunze 3155 is less than 6 mos old . nothing else but the temp probe from reefkeeper touches the water . I only use the reefkeeper for temperature control really . I have the heater and a fan connected to it . I have a coral box wifi doser but I can't see that tripping the GFI . I really need to get this solved before it gets hot out . I have seen a thread where someone had issues with PC4 on reefkeeper . wonder if that is it ?? Im open to suggestions at this point .

Oh the return pump is an Ehiem 1260 1 year old . I've heard of these things going for 10 years with no issues which is why I got one . again , past experiences with any of this equipment from anyone is helpful

Thank you

How often does it trip?
You might consider replacing the outlet itself. I've seen GFCI outlets go bad and trip intermittently.

I had this happen when I was using a shittt power strip/surge protector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

the GFI is only a year old too. I might try switching things one at a time to another circut , trips every week or 2

the GFI is only a year old too. I might try switching things one at a time to another circut , trips every week or 2

That makes it very time consuming to pinpoint. No matter what you try, it will take weeks before you believe that you've fixed it.

One other thought. Does your power strip also provide GFCI protection? A ground fault plugged into another will exhibit this behavior also.

That makes it very time consuming to pinpoint. No matter what you try, it will take weeks before you believe that you've fixed it.

One other thought. Does your power strip also provide GFCI protection? A ground fault plugged into another will exhibit this behavior also.
good point , Ill have to check online for this one . it says protected and grounded on it and both lights are lit green it is a defiant

dong , I think the probe is a year old too , I believe those are low voltage at the water but I guess it could trip it if current hit the water .

So I replaced the gfi and re wired it so the line feeds a regular outlet first then the gfi so now I can always keep power to critical systems even if the gfi trips. Hopefully this fixes it

That's not how it is supposed to work. The gfci is there to prevent damage from happening. You have a fault in your system that needs to be corrected.

That's not how it is supposed to work. The gfci is there to prevent damage from happening. You have a fault in your system that needs to be corrected.

I agree. I think that's a big mistake. There was something wrong with either your system or the GFI. You replaced the GFI now see if it works.

I'm a licensed electrician and i also agree that's a huge mistake, you're risking personal injury and equipment damage by wiring the GFCI in that way! You may as well just install a regular duplex receptacle in its place because its doing nothing. There's obviously an equipment malfunction or an overloading issue going on here. I'm not trying to be brash but wiring is not a hobby.

I’m going to agree with Mr Leemr. It sounds to me like it’s overloaded and tripping when certain equipment is on at the same time. I’d calculate the total amount of amps you have. You listed a good deal of equipment for 1 circuit.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back