Giesemann Spectra questions

joe0813

BRS Member
had enough of ecosmart live... the program is garbage and im getting rid of my gen 2s. I was thinking of getting a giesemann spectra but i have no experience with MH. How much heat do halides usually add to a tank and how much could my electric bill go up?

I have the 48 inch specture with 20k radius and I love it , can’t really help compare the electricity cost because I’ve only had my setup since December but can tell you I have no interest in changing my light setup .... haven’t notice much at all as far as heat goes , but then again my tank is in my basement

How big is your tank?
A fan across the top can offset the heat pretty easily from the tank.

its a 6 foot 180 gallon. so was looking at the Giesemann spectra, Giesemann Aurora or a ATI Powermodule

stupid question... but is it one ballast per light or just one powers the three bulbs?

It will be a ballast per bulb and a ballast for the t5. I believe (but not sure) you will need to purchase the mh ballasts you want but it will have the t5 ballast built in.

The real advantage to the spectra is that's an all in one system and looks ok if one doesn't have an enclosed top.
the reflectors are inferior compaired to the lumenbrights or lumenmax stand alone.
The price point is quite high new. $1500 plus $450 for the ballasts. $1950

If one were to buy 3x lumenbright mini (would be fine) that's $330 plus $450 then you'll want to add t5 (there many routes to this) but the easiest would brs retro kits or the giesemann razer. The 4 ft kits are $155 or $220 and you are looking at times 2 to compare with spectra.
All new with brs retro kits = $1050ish or $1170ish for de
With giesemann razors= $1220ish or $1350ish for de

These prices do not include bulbes. If you want to run Radiums, you'll want the SE fixture Radiums are $80 ea annually. There are other cheaper bulbs that are high quality as well, the hamilton 14 or 20k for se or phoenix 14k for de are all nice. And run about $50 to $60 ea.

Buying used is an option as well I've no idea how easy it would be to get a spectra used. I switched back to mh last year and paid a TOTAL of $350 for 3 ballasts and 3 lumenmax elite reflectors. That is not an uncommon deal on r2r. Anything around $500 is average.

I do not supplement with t5. I feel the Radium bulb does not require it (the Hamilton 14k does IMO). Instead, I use 2 ai led fixtures to supplement. With that I get the sunrise/sunset effects and moonlights. I run then through the neptune apex.

Hope that's some stuff to think on.

For heat, I run 2 fans to blow air in the space above the tankand an exhaust vent that moves 140cfm. My tank is also inwall so I have a completely open back into a room. My house has central air and never gets above 78 degrees and the tank is in a finished basement which rarely gets above 73. The fans keep my tank maxed out at 79 all year. They are neptune apex controlled as well.

Heat can be a real problem for some (especially in warmer climates) and the real cash savings with led come with those who need a chiller.

Things to look into... picking new lights is harder than picking a new car.

Absoutely, there are many rats nests above tanks with these setups.that said were i to use led id put 8 hydra26hd over my 180. Thats 8 cords and 8 acadapters.

I could not get anything resembling the growth I get with metal halide using the AI sol blues. I ran 4x sol blues and 2x 45w t5.

This is just a quick shot of how mine are hung. These were shot about 6 months ago

20171108_195512.jpg
20171108_195437.jpg

i dont think a spectra will work... the fixture only comes in a 72 inch my canopy is only 73 inches long :(

Chris, do you have PAR reading under those metal halides? Thanks

i do have an apex. i suck at programming anything though.

I can likely help. To control the ecotech you need the wxm.

The reason I asked was because you could probably Run 3 metal halide bulbs and keep a couple of the old radions for the "fun features". I am not aware if the Gen 2 are Wireless capable or not. If not I believe it's the vdm module you would need. I would need to check on that if you are interested in this route

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back