glass-holes over flow or eshopps eclipse L ?

stangkid1987

Non-member
hey guys im in the process of setting up a 120g 48x24x24. Im in the market for a overflow and my two options are the glass-holes 3000/2 kit or the eshopps eclipse L. The web sites say the eclipse is good for tanks ranging 100-150g but says 1000 gph. The glass-holes kit says " These are typically used singly in tanks from 75-120 gallons, two in 125-200 gallon tanks When only half of a 3000 kit is needed, or add another one to have a drain on each end of the tank. 9 1/4" x 7" x 3 3/4" overflow kit. Rated for 1500gph max, 1200 nominal. " SOOOO my question is should i get the eshopps kit for $20 more or the other. my other problem is my wife already wants to castrate me because the amount of room this tank is going to take, so im trying to eliminate excess room if possible. the eclipse says the exterior box is 3" and the glass-holes says it requires 4" for plumbing. i know its only 1" but in my current situation size really does matter lol. input is greatly appreciated. thankssss

I think it depends what you are going to do for your drains. Did a bean animal drain (3 drains, one main siphon, one drizzle for excess and one back up). I was able to fit those in one overflow from BRS. I did the medium (900gph) and in the 12 inches I was able to fit three bulkheads no problem.

With my back up drains I could theoretically take 2400gph. That would go over the teeth in the kit but I don't think I will ever have a return pump that strong.

If I had to choose between an inch with bean animal set up or a herbie set up with one less inch I would have the tank an inch further out all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I like my glass holes overflow, the sucker is unfortunately not super quiet. It is muffled by enkamat in the box, but I cannot get it silent. Though that is the smaller box, with only one drain - maybe the larger can be silent? Glass holes does have excellent customer service and mailed me extra enkamat at no charge.

From what I remember the glass holes used to be pretty loud. That was several years ago though.

If room is an issue why not purchase a pre drilled tank with the holes going through the bottom?

I ended up getting the eclipse l. I like the look and it came with a template. Thanks for the input guys.
284be7d0c6b6c8780e22d3305fbbcc56.jpg
87412f1b7afda9768884f2b53e790c7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I see why you didn't get a pre drilled tank. You already had it...

It looks like it's made to run a bean animal style drain. That's convenient

I purchased this tank used off someone on offer up for a great deal. And besides I never drilled a tank before and was curious to try lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back