GlassCages.com??

Jeff, When did you order that tank? I have heard that recently they have done some "improvement"

Ray said:
I agree, if one of my fish got down to my sump it would be bye bye fishy! I have no baffles in my sump it is just a 20H with all my pumps in it

I had a chromis fit through my overflow teeth and ride my plumbing 11 feet down and 30 feet across my house to the sump. I found him there, scooped him out and got him back the the main tank. It's been a week and he doing fine! :D

I have decided to go with 90G (48X18X25). I think 31" height with only having 48" length and 18" width might not look that great.

How many gallons that would be? Did you get a chance to take a look at their glass samples? How did you like/dislike them?

The low iron glass they had on display was much clearer then the reg glass.
For anyone interested, they will bebuilding tanks for delivery in MA, But you need to let them know ASAP!!
I would definitely order low iron glass, I think it's worth it for a tank I will keep for maybe 10-20+ years (?)
I won't be ordering a tank until my addition is built.
Tank will be approx 450g, maybe larger..not sure at this point
They have a "stock" size tank, 8' x 3' x 3' (37") that lists for $2300 reg glass, comes out to 540g...possible.....
or the 10' version for $2875 - 680g.....I'm thinking only 8'...but I did just win that Ocean light 250w DE, which gives me 5 lights. :cool:

Last edited:
The only thing I would worry about is that they would use only 1/2" glass on that size tank. They don't have low iron in any other thickness so that is the only option. 1/2" glass on a tank that tall is risky.

Dave,

For a tank that size in 1/2" glass there will be A LOT of cross braces. Be prepared. You might want to consider Aquarium For You in NJ. I researched them pretty carefully and could not find any bad experiences. Of coures I do not have any PERSONAL experience with them yet since my tank is still under construction. They will be more $ than Glasscages, but they will work with 3/4" low iron. If anybody orders soon (my shameless attempt to save some money is coming....) we could probably combine shipping and save a bundle.

Yeah, one online source lists:

36" high = 20mm = .79 inches
30/33" high = 16mm = .63 inches

Doesn't drop to .5 inches until you get down to 27" high tank

So what does that say about all the .5" 30" high tanks out there?

Also strength of glass can vary....anyone know if low iron is stronger..?

Dave,

>So what does that say about all the .5" 30" high tanks out there?<

You can do it, you just need cross braces, and the probability of failure becomes higher. Eurobracing only in a tank that tall is not possible without thicker glass. Low iron is not stronger, but I could be wrong.

I'm thinking 3/4", better to spend the $$ & sleep soundly at night.
Thanx for the info Greg
I will most likely be ordering next year, once the garage is up & the floor built.
My plan is to leave the front wall open for delivery

I'm also thinking taller...maybe 33-36"
Greg, what size are you getting? {just so mine can be 1/16" of an inch bigger} :D

8 ft x 3 ft by 30 inch high. And hurray! Marvin put up the hay bales and silt fence yesterday, the project is finally underway.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back