Going LED--What's your are your thoughts.

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
So I have been stashing $$ away for this purpose. Been running 2-250w MH for a very loooong time and was happy with them. However with the cost of electricity I'm thinking spending money will save money. There are sooooo many LEDs out there my head is spinning from watching utube and reading reviews. Really would appreciate love some real world experience.

I'm running an Apex so do I need something that is compatible?

Some people swear by black box leds and others by Radion G5. Big $$ swing there.

What pitfalls to avoid?? Where is money best spend?? What are your lights and why did you chose them??

Tank Dimensions 90gal 48"Lx18"Wx25"D. It's a mixed reef sps, lps, and softies See pic below

Not sure what lights would best suit my needs..

Attachments

• TankPicMHonly.jpg
    TankPicMHonly.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 218
I went to LED hoping for the same.
Looking back, I’d of spent the money replacing my MH ballasts (3x400w).
Electricity savings was minimal.
Only benefit was less heat.

Currently running two SB Reef 30” Pro’s.

Some of the local stores have a variety of LED fixtures running over their tanks.

I recall that Love the reef had several lights including Orphek Atlantik, Kessil A360, Kessil A360x, Ecotech Radion G3 or G4, and maybe AI Hydras.

AcroGarden has Reefbreeders and maybe Maxspect Razors.

Keep in mind that you may not save much on electricity. Radion G5 XR30s use 205w - 215w @ 100%, but you probably wouldn’t run those at 100%.

The new panel style LEDs, Philip Coralcare & ATI Straton, look like the future for T5 replacements.

Hopefully, you can still check out a Power Meter (Kill a watt?) at the local library and just measure exactly how much power your lights are using, and then calculate the monthly savings. I switched from MH to Kessils (they lasted about 2 years) and now using reefbreeders (quite happy) from Dong. The MH to LED transition saves me about $25-$30/month (180 gallon), but it is down to output power and how efficient the ballasts are.

I do like the RB lites also they are on my finals list

Hopefully, you can still check out a Power Meter (Kill a watt?) at the local library and just measure exactly how much power your lights are using, and then calculate the monthly savings. I switched from MH to Kessils (they lasted about 2 years) and now using reefbreeders (quite happy) from Dong. The MH to LED transition saves me about $25-$30/month (180 gallon), but it is down to output power and how efficient the ballasts are.

The power saving switch from 2x 250w metal halide to one 250w led is about $15 to $20 a month depending on how much the electricity rate is. 250w led definitely can pump out similar light as two 250w metal halides. The average metal halide efficiency is about 50 to 60 lumins per watt, the latest Cree LED can punch out over 100 to 120 lumin per watt.

In my opinion, it all depends on how you like your coral look under different lighting methods.
I see not much difference in grows under MH, t5 and LED as long as the par levels are similar. But personally I do like the pop led provides. But you must use a par meter when using led, all current major brands of led can definitely kill your coral by zapping them to death,

This is my 250 watt reefbrite and Reefbrite ballast with a 36” 4 bulb t5ho 39x4 aquatic life hybrid. It’s on a 40B
A208243C-99A8-4316-B5AB-874FE6357BDF.jpeg
i tried a bunch of leds and it just seams like to much of a guessing game to me, maybe it’s just me but I went back to halide and I’m happy

This is my 250 watt reefbrite and Reefbrite ballast with a 36” 4 bulb t5ho 39x4 aquatic life hybrid. It’s on a 40BView attachment 149892i tried a bunch of leds and it just seams like to much of a guessing game to me, maybe it’s just me but I went back to halide and I’m happy
Interesting, 4x39w t5 is 156w, plus the overhead, it draws a bit more than that.
3.15Amp is 378w,
So your metal halide is drawing about 220w. The ballast is under driving the 250w bulb.

Interesting, 4x39w t5 is 156w, plus the overhead, it draws a bit more than that.
3.15Amp is 378w,
So your metal halide is drawing about 220w. The ballast is under driving the 250w bulb.
the reefbrite ones do from my understanding. Helps keep the heat down a bit and power cost.

In my opinion, it all depends on how you like your coral look under different lighting methods.
I see not much difference in grows under MH, t5 and LED as long as the par levels are similar. But personally I do like the pop led provides. But you must use a par meter when using led, all current major brands of led can definitely kill your coral by zapping them to death,
I also like the color pop that LEDs give. That is another reason I'm thinking of switching. I'm hoping for lights under $1000. that will provide.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back