Golden Dwarf Moray

I have a snowflake eel. Not sure the difference in keeping them vs the golden moray.

I love mine. Coolest thing in my tank. Comes out when hungry, hides the rest of the time. Mine is about 2’ long but doesn’t mess with my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone here have any experience with them? I want one in the worst way
I have one. What do you want to know?

I've had a GDM for 6 years. My first one died during a tank upgrade. I think he wrapped himself around a heater in the holding tank.

I got a new one a few weeks later because I missed him. They are pretty easy to keep. Mine stays under a big rock. He has 4 openings I look for. When it is feeding time he comes out of his rock and scavengens. If I don't see this for a few days (and his body is 80 % out begging) I'll feed him with the tongs which he rips food off. He eats whatever I give him, scallop, squid, silverslide, clam, LRS, etc.

Here is what I do know. They won't eat in QT with meds in the water. I had a velvet outbreak and I had him in QT with some others. He didn't eat for a month, which is nothing for an eel. I treat with CP because copper is poison and doesn't work well with scale less fish (eels, puffer), but he wouldn't eat anything. 24 hours after adding carbon to the tank he was eating.

I have one. What do you want to know?

I've had a GDM for 6 years. My first one died during a tank upgrade. I think he wrapped himself around a heater in the holding tank.

I got a new one a few weeks later because I missed him. They are pretty easy to keep. Mine stays under a big rock. He has 4 openings I look for. When it is feeding time he comes out of his rock and scavengens. If I don't see this for a few days (and his body is 80 % out begging) I'll feed him with the tongs which he rips food off. He eats whatever I give him, scallop, squid, silverslide, clam, LRS, etc.

Here is what I do know. They won't eat in QT with meds in the water. I had a velvet outbreak and I had him in QT with some others. He didn't eat for a month, which is nothing for an eel. I treat with CP because copper is poison and doesn't work well with scale less fish (eels, puffer), but he wouldn't eat anything. 24 hours after adding carbon to the tank he was eating.
i have one for year now the only thing that is bad is that I can't keep pepp shrimp but other than that great eel

Thanks for the info @jasonrusso
Seems they are pretty standard then... def going to try scooping one after the holidays

i have one for year now the only thing that is bad is that I can't keep pepp shrimp but other than that great eel
Welp I dont mess with pepps anymore but I do have sexy shrimp. But I feel like they move too quick.

Thanks for the info @jasonrusso
Seems they are pretty standard then... def going to try scooping one after the holidays

Welp I dont mess with pepps anymore but I do have sexy shrimp. But I feel like they move too quick.

Nah... that shrimp is a goner.

I hand feed my eel. He will act all cool and get nice a close. Then a half second later the shrimp is out of my hand and he is under the rock.

I had reservations moving him home from the school tank (school did not want the eel after I left [emoji3525]) but my cleaner shrimp went missing a week or two after I moved him home.

Nah... that shrimp is a goner.

I hand feed my eel. He will act all cool and get nice a close. Then a half second later the shrimp is out of my hand and he is under the rock.

I had reservations moving him home from the school tank (school did not want the eel after I left [emoji3525]) but my cleaner shrimp went missing a week or two after I moved him home.

I've seen mine sniff out grass shrimp. I don't know how. It seems like he just knows they are there. The shrimp can be under the corner of a rock and he just comes around the corner and grabs it.

Well luckily I dont have the sexys in the display yet. But I swear sexy shrimp move faster than light

My snowflake hasn’t messed with my snails or hermits.

I feed mine every 2-3 days a medium shrimp. So he is pretty fat.

I am not afraid of him biting me. But I am sure like dogs each one has its own personality.

Minus shrimp are these reef safe with corals, nems and fish? What about snails?
Mine has a collection of empty shells by the cave. Between my puffer and eel, the CUC needs to be replenished often.

I'd be more concerned about a snowflake biting me. They get quite excited at feeding time

my snowflake is similar; he also leaves the snails and hermits alone; i'm not sure about my emerald crabs though. He's safe with the fish. In fact, my super aggressive damsel will hover by his head and slap him with his back fin and force him back into his hole! Damsel has also stolen a clam I was feeding the eel right of its mouth.

I was eyeing the Hawaiian golden dwarf eels on divers den too a few weeks ago, they had a couple on sale. I think adding a 4th eel might be pushing it in my case but they're awesome looking.

I'd keep an eye out on live aquaria for them, I think I saw them on there in the $200s

I was eyeing the Hawaiian golden dwarf eels on divers den too a few weeks ago, they had a couple on sale. I think adding a 4th eel might be pushing it in my case but they're awesome looking.

I'd keep an eye out on live aquaria for them, I think I saw them on there in the $200s
I see them on LA DD all the time. I check DD every night for neat things lol.
299 on live aquaria
200 on Ebay(plus shipping)
And I found one on our wholesale list for the store that I'm dying for lol

This was my guy last night

Attachments

• 20181221_184133.jpg
    20181221_184133.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 218
I am picking mine up next week can’t wait to get it in the tank. They are just so awesome great colors perfect size

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back