Great Barrier Reef suffers 89% collapse in new coral after bleaching events

I see this 2 ways. Either someone is making a killing on killing the reef or they really don’t want to propagate it yet. Probably to make more money. One thing is certain, it’s all about money. None of them really care about the reef or they’d be mariculturing corals all over the place to seed the reef again. My 0.03 cents

They do mariculture corals in order to seed the reefs. I don't know about the Great Barrier Reef, but in Key Largo the Coral Restoration program does exactly this, but scaling up that kind of effort to replace what is lost is an incredible undertaking. Imagine trying to seed hundreds of square miles of dead coral reef.

https://www.coralrestoration.org/restoration

I've scuba dived several times off of key largo and have never seen acropora in the wild - the florida barrier reef lost most of its acropora due to pollution. The reefs there are sad in terms of coral diversity - lots of gorgonians, some zooanthids, but comparatively little living stony coral.

I see this 2 ways. Either someone is making a killing on killing the reef or they really don’t want to propagate it yet. Probably to make more money. One thing is certain, it’s all about money. None of them really care about the reef or they’d be mariculturing corals all over the place to seed the reef again. My 0.03 cents
What do you mean making a killing on killing the reef? I don't see the financial incentive for causing harm to the reef.

They do mariculture corals in order to seed the reefs. I don't know about the Great Barrier Reef, but in Key Largo the Coral Restoration program does exactly this, but scaling up that kind of effort to replace what is lost is an incredible undertaking. Imagine trying to seed hundreds of square miles of dead coral reef.

https://www.coralrestoration.org/restoration

I've scuba dived several times off of key largo and have never seen acropora in the wild - the florida barrier reef lost most of its acropora due to pollution. The reefs there are sad in terms of coral diversity - lots of gorgonians, some zooanthids, but comparatively little living stony coral.

The restoration efforts are critical for Florida reef.

Florida stony coral are protected and no collection is allowed. No coral in US territories is allowed to be exported.

On the other side of the globe, Fiji and Indo stop exportation of coral for 1 year and 3 month now. Recently Acro shipped from Aussie are very limited. (No, there is no torch ban, it is a fake news to drive up the price of torch coral).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Money makes the world go round. The research they’re doing isn’t free, there time isn’t free, nothing is free. These guys aren’t the first to “discover” the effects of the bleaching events and how long it takes to recover from them. They’re beating a dead horse.

I just came back from reef diving in cozumel and they are suffering from some kind of fungus that's killing the acros. Wasn't looking so good there.

It is the aliens, when researchers can’t nail down what is going on, it must be the aliens. History channel told me that. It is the “History” channel.

9c99513b0479d02ded45b07a2572c129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, some do make a good pay doing marine research, but not millionaire type earnings. I do marine reasearch for the state, and will likely never crack the six figure mark, which in this country is just being able to have some fun and take care of your family. No excess no second homes nothing “extra”. My wife and I have to work. I wish one of us could stay at home to raise the kids until self sufficient. Not happening. I don’t need, care for or want more possessions anyway. Some need and need big. That is what is wrong with the world. So many think they need, but really don’t. They just need hope and to smile and love more. You should see the amount of coastal destruction that happens in MA alone for people’s excesses. Marine habitat and coastal buffer areas are destroyed so some can have a two week vacation each year and rent it out the rest of the summer to finance the monster. Animals we harvest and make money on are impacted and we lose natural resources. At some point we will wake up and realize there is a need to regulate our activity on this earth more responsibly. We are barely there. Personal habits changing are what might save us from ourselves. That starts with your every move being controlled by you. Don’t buy that DD Coffee in a plastic cup with plastic straw shoved in a styrofoam cup so your had doesn’t get wet from the condensation. Bring your clean mug and have them fill it. They will catch on if we all do it. I don’t buy from them anymore. If I do, they fill my own stainless mug up. Started 5 years ago. They piss me off, but then again, so does the speed limit. If we lowered it we would save so much fuel! Ahh whatever. Now you all know I am an ENVIRO NAZI!! Wait, that would be fake news... I drive a 5.7 l pickup every day, but only 5 miles to work. I’d be in a Prius otherwise. . My kids are 7 and 10. We just discussed that the plastic kiddie toys are all over. I can’t stand to see any more. They have enough. Now it is time to tell the family to stop. Clothes only please if you want to give gifts. They have enough! Quite a rant, I know. But, it is my love for the reefs that compelled me. Before I came back to study local marine life I spent considerable time in the Caribbean researching coral. To see what happened to the Aussie GBR, literally makes me cry. Do we need a larger example to change our habits? I think not. I can’t stand to even listen to Sir David Attenborough describe the extent with the freshly bleached reef on screen. We have let ourselves, all of humanity, down. Can we fix it, I think we can. I have hope.

I do think we should get into mariculture of corals to replant further. We may find that the maricultured ones are more disease and bleach resistant.

My main concerns about the reef are:
1) Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates from sewage when it rains and the systems get overwhelmed.
2) Ammonia, Urea, and phosphates from fertilizer run off
3) Pestisides, defoliant run off
4) The "bad divers" and dive boats. In Hawaii there is dive sight called anchor drag.
5) The people who still chop up the reef.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back