Green Chromis

Syntax

BRS Member
I've got a 180 gallon tank with the following inhabitants and i'm looking to add more fish since I can't seem to get any measurable P04 or NH3:

Sailfin Tang
Kole Tang
Blue Spot Goby
Cleaner Wrasse
Foxface Lo
Red Solon Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Square Back Anthias
False perc
Lyretail Anthias

I was thinking either a school a 7 Green Chromis or 3 Bimaculatus Anthias... Any thoughts?

Chromis are a better choice imo because the anthias have a tendency to become males and will kill each other

I vote chromis. One of my favorites. Nice color, peaceful (mostly) one of the few reef fish that give a nice schooling behavior. A great underated fish and did I mention cheap and easy.

One of the first groups of fish I would add to a tank if I were ever able to get a larger tank would be chromis' love them...

Bluezoo and Liveaquaria both have Chromis in stock but they are .5" to 1". I am concerned that the other fish will view them as food! The PE mysis I feed can be about the same size as a .5" Chromis.

Chromis are a better choice imo because the anthias have a tendency to become males and will kill each other

I haven't experienced this with the Lyretails that I've had... One turns male and bothers the other females so they don't change. Are Bimacs different in your experience?

I don't see anything on your list that would be an issue for eating or bothering chromis. Amongst their attributes is that they are very agile as well.

Just a heads up Chromis will school together for a while but in my experience they established a pecking order.
From there the last on the list usually gets killed off and so on and so forth until there's only one left.

As Sean Connery would say..

cCWUo3z.gif

Just a heads up Chromis will school together for a while but in my experience they established a pecking order.
From there the last on the list usually gets killed off and so on and so forth until there's only one left.

As Sean Connery would say..

cCWUo3z.gif
You're not the first person to say this.

it's funny I've heard that that's why I said mostly peaceful I've never had that issue with them the most have had it any one time has been four of them

I ended up ordering three bimacs from Live Aquaria, they are going through tank transfer right now. I still may get a few chromis eventually.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back