Green Hair Algae

Discussion in 'Reef Talk' started by Collin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member BRS Member

Hi guys, Ive had this green hair algae since starting the tank a few months ago. (I know there's going to be algae for awhile after starting a tank). But, it's gone off of every other rock except this one. The others have been green hair algae free for about a month now and this one just persists. It's only this rock, all others are algae free and starting to get covered with coralline. Any tips on how I can get this stuff off and get the coralline to take over this rock also? Or is it just a matter of time?

Attached Files:

2. Collin

I just realized it might be diatoms not green hair

3. Collin

Better picture of the stuff

Attached Files:

4. aresangel

aresangel Well-Known Member Officer

Looks like some green hair to me. Maybe some diatoms mixed in the first photo.

It’s a pain to pull off and scrub off. I did manual removal. Even cut parts of the rock off if it was in a hard to get place.

Otherwise biological removal (buy a turbo snail or two) or some hermits will eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Collin

Yeah, manual removal is almost impossible without wrecking everything , but I might try taking a piece off of the worst affected areas and seeing what happens there. I'm trying to get a few more snails but my lfs charges an arm and a leg for small snails, and I don't know where else to get em'

6. aresangel

Their prices on Turbo snails isn’t bad. Otherwise try Hudson petco. I prefer dealing with Sean and helping out a small business but money is money!

7. Collin

Cool, thanks!

8. Collin

What's your LFS?

9. aresangel

Probably same as yours. Fish Nook.

10. Bendint

Bendint Nothing good happens fast Officer BRS Member

Def green hair algae check all your parameters fluconazole works great and reef safe one dose kills it a good clean up crew and a grazing fish helps

11. CrypticLifeStyle

CrypticLifeStyle Well-Known Member BRS Member

If theres nothing mounted to it, i say just remove it, kill the rock, put it back in later on after the proper cleaning/cycle steps. Maybe, use another clean rock in it's place.

Makes life a little easier, to deal with the issue sometimes, instead of going on a multi month, money trap costing more then the rock haha.

12. Collin

I'm going to try manual removal/removal of parts of the rock, sadly I have corals encrusted on parts of it. Also my blenny has his home in there and I don't have the heart to take away his little cave :) I'll also try to get a few more snails and just wait and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice!

13. Collin

If it doesn't get any better and I can't take the rock out I'll probably try fluconazole or something like that next if it doesn't clear up in a month or so

14. Bendint

Fluconazole can be pricey if u have a large system but it's a silver bullet I'd buy them online but it works in days turn off all reactors n clean them and when it's dead and gone restart it

15. MikeP

MikeP Well-Known Member BRS Member

Have you had Fluconazole work on GHA? It got rid of my bryopsis but the GHA that replaced it doesn’t seem to be effected

16. Bendint

I heard that's it works on gha and bryopsis

17. MLemming7

MLemming7 Non-member

Fluconazole worked for my gha. I have a YouTube video on it. Just search fluconazole for green hair algae..